DAMM HEAD GASKET!!!

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
drsigma

DAMM HEAD GASKET!!!

Post by drsigma »

Well drove the the sigma to work today getting it ready for tomorrows car show and got half way home and did a head gasket dam slut it is cross fireing took the head off in record time :D and the bloke before me put a shity cheap head gasket on it!
Getting a Durapro one tomorrow i hope Graphite one that i allways use. ;)
Last edited by drsigma on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karl_2ltgc

Re: DAMM HEAD GASKET!!!

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Head could be banana shape...
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

karl_2ltgc wrote:Head could be banana shape...
Yeah, its an odd place for it to let go. Might pay to check & see if she is square or not.

Good luck with the mad rush :twisted:
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

incase of any headgasket failure it always pays to get the head decked and check the block.
i just had my engine decked and the block was out by about .006

i had a dirty cheap non monotorque gasket on and it was perfect when i pulled it down. after about 12 months and 10k at 200+kw i was cheering to find it was ok. unlike the rings and piston :lol:
Insert witty one liner here -->
drsigma

Post by drsigma »

All checked and done but missed the car show but there is a cruise tomorrow so its not all at a loss. :)
drsigma

Post by drsigma »

Its alive! ;)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The best thing about blowing a head gasket (or holing a piston for that matter) is that your car will sound like a WRX :D
drsigma

Post by drsigma »

Sigmaproject wrote:The best thing about blowing a head gasket (or holing a piston for that matter) is that your car will sound like a WRX :D
So so true thats what i said to my mate but mine was more like a VW beatle! :oops:
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Where can you get good quality head gaskets that aren't going to blow easily, I had assumed that a head gasket was a head gasket.
Also I plan on boring my engine 40thou oversize, would I need a bigger head gasket for this? Do I just specify that when I want to buy one?

Cheers Matt

ps made my GC sound like a lumpy V8, the standard exhaust flange came loose and was leaking exhaust before the mufflers, sounded awesome on acceleration but was embarassing as hell on engien braking just kept backfiring :( got a big dirty from the cops as I drove past the scene of an accident lol
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
drsigma

Post by drsigma »

Rally_2.6LC wrote:Where can you get good quality head gaskets that aren't going to blow easily, I had assumed that a head gasket was a head gasket.
Also I plan on boring my engine 40thou oversize, would I need a bigger head gasket for this? Do I just specify that when I want to buy one?
Well i have used a few different head gaskets but i got on to these graphite ones and i have not had a problem since i just put one on the orange GE which is high comp and as well on the turbo one which did see 30psi a few times too ;) with out a problem. As for the 40thou over bore not a problem they are all the same.

Draff

Post by Draff »

drsigma wrote:Well drove the the sigma to work today getting it ready for tomorrows car show and got half way home and did a head gasket dam slut it is cross fireing took the head off in record time :D and the bloke before me put a shity cheap head gasket on it!
Getting a Durapro one tomorrow i hope Graphite one that i allways use. ;)

Geeze she sure did take a bite out of the gasket, glad to hear you have her back on the road mate sucks about missing the car show.

whats the normal cost difference between a standard/cheep head gasket and a Durapro one that you have listed there?
drsigma

Post by drsigma »

Well i get mine for around $30. Trade
Draff

Post by Draff »

drsigma wrote:Well i get mine for around $30. Trade
Geeze for that price there really is no excuse but to use a decent one, trade is only like 10% discount yeah?