Hey ho!... let`s go!

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
mistashitty

Hey ho!... let`s go!

Post by mistashitty »

Howdy,
I`m new to this site I just registered last night,
First thing first, I thuought it would be best to get this out of the way, I`m a certified "Datophile" (Datsun enthusiast) but dont hold that agaist me, I wont try a preach the virtues of the humble Datsun.
Now to the matter of posting on a sigma site:
About three year ago I bought a second hand turbo set-up off ebay, (for a 240z that I was building).
When it landed on my door it was soon apparent that it was no good for the 240 (t04 flange) but it came with a beautiful set af manifolds modified to suit the astron 2.6 and "it would be a shame to let them go to waste".
I was initally looking to build a pigma wagon, I searched the local rags (mercury, trading post) and looked at a few overpriced shitters (auto, A/C power steering).
At this time my dad was selling his LTD (ford) and mum needed a new bus, and it came to me "how about a scorpion?". So I set out to find myself a porkion, I looked at a few, once again shitters (auto, A/C, P/S). A few days later I found a `81 one owner, base model scorp.
(new 5 speed, new head, no A/C, no P/S $950.00).
I fitted the turbo to the scorp. a few weeks later, it turned out the turbo core was stuffed (lots of blue stuff coming out of the new three inch system i just fitted)
I took a bag full of bits (stipped turbo) to a local garrett man, he supplied me with a new second hand core (S4 rx7) and had the shaft ground and supplied me with under sized bearings, He also suggested that the compressor was too big (v-trim in his opinion) but I didn`t listen to his advice (I love big laggy turbo performance!).
Mum didn`t like the results so she never drove it, In the last three years i think it has done about 1500km.
So with the demise of the x-dressing god father of the piggy turbo I thought I try and reap the full potential out of the old girl.
Now to my questions:

*Is there a cheap waste gate that replaces the the standard unit (mine seems to have a blown diaphram) and trying to find a replacement has come to naught? (no boost control)

*I cant seem to get the motor to run on the boost retard dissy (it pops and carries on) The std. dissy seems to work alright to a point (9psi+). Is the boost retard unit standard?

*Whats with those pesky v-band clamps? How do you get them to seal properly?

*On the choke side of the carb. there is a brass outlet pipe that spews fuel at low engine speed I supect it is a fuel return from the float overflow? or should I lower the float level.

*Is there a "off the shelf" (mitsu. Ralliart) clutch that wont slip under reasonable boost (20 psi+)

*Has any heard of the 300 RW/KW buggy running an 2.6 astron and all factory parts (v-6 magna pistons)?

I understand there are some southern tassie boys on this site? we`ll have to catch up and tell some lies.

Well the rain has stopped, so i`ll think i`ll go out and fit that "weet-bix box" gasket to the carb/turbo inlet v-band. What goo should i use? copper max silicone or loctite no.3?
G O T H E D A T !
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Hey ho!... let`s go!

Post by astronturbo77 »

southern tassie boy, stop talking about me :D :D
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
mistashitty

Post by mistashitty »

are you the x-dressing god father of the siggy turbo?!.
G O T H E D A T !
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

umm no...... what does that mean? hahahaha
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

yeah im from the good end of tassie :mrgreen:
where bouts in the good end are u?

as for the clutch, go for the exedy ceramic button, never had mine slip, not even on static cook with 15 psi and a 42hp shot of nos, in 4th gear :lol:
Image Image
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Lethal G wrote: as for the clutch, go for the exedy ceramic button, never had mine slip, not even on static cook with 15 psi and a 42hp shot of nos, in 4th gear :lol:
i like the ceramic 3 puk solid center RPM clutch, used these im my turbo 250 cortina and had no slippage probs
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
mistashitty

Post by mistashitty »

thanks for your ideas on clutches i`ll have to look into it,
before i can do that though i have to sort out some sort of boost control My `sternal gate is stuffed (diaphram).

Im from around the kingston area. how about your self?
G O T H E D A T !
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

another one from tassie, im on the eastern shore. sure lethal and i can help you out with some probs and bits and pieces.

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
mistashitty

Post by mistashitty »

So here I was thinking I was being original: by having the only 2.6t scorp in Hobart.
:twisted:
It would be good if I could catch up with some of you fellow old`scool turbo enthusiasts, and maybe pick your brains a little?
I`d like to find out if my kit is from a factory or PWS, and sort out the waste gate and boost retard dissy.
Cheers,
G O T H E D A T !
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

in kingo hey? in in the margate area.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

well factory was a factory turbo set up and pws came out as a 2.6 with a different exhaust system, extractors etc.

I can tell you most differences between the 2 if needed.

Paddles
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

pics please??? :D
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

For the wastegate turbosmart make an adaptor that bolts there 35mm gate to the original
v-band that will get you going again. Also 300kw can be made using stock crank,rods and cast pistons you just need the right bolt-ons.

cheers Mic
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

with your dizzy, just send a factory one over to melbourne to scorcher or performance ignition and they will set it up for you, just mine done couple years back , was bout 250.

Paddles
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

does this fellow still exist?????????
lebaron

Post by lebaron »

:roll: hi there welcome to the site..i,m a southerner but i,m selling my galant sports apack at the moment need the money for the charger and the lebaron,,but hope to see ya around[.
driven chrysler all my life love it.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

good question?????

Paddles
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

wasnt there somewhere you could buy a replacement diaphram for the factory wastegate? It was a while back but someone had found a place i thought???

anyway whatever your doin man, have fun... :D
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration