Interesting engine swaps.

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
metaldrift

Interesting engine swaps.

Post by metaldrift »

Just wanted to put it out there if anyone has heard of a Boxer motor being put into a sigma? I just reco'd my standard 2ltr, and was trying to think of an unusual motor I could build to put in it in a year or two when it blows up again. I've seen V8's, rotors and V6's in sigmas, just want something different lol. Anyone think it's possible (albeit expensive) to put subaru motor, gearbox and 4wheel drive into one? or just motor? Any ideas appreiciated, probably dreaming but it'd sound so good lol!
Thanks!
psshhhht

Re: Interesting engine swaps.

Post by psshhhht »

it's certainly possible to do all of what you would like, but the awd drivetrain especially would be a heap of work and probably would be hard if not impossible to get registered/engineered. Although I had tossed around the exact same idea myself, so would love to watch your progress if you give it a go.

I'm still tempted by the boxer engine, nothing sounds as good as a boxer I reckon, not even a big block v8. They're a pretty compact engine, though wide-ish, but plenty of room in the engine bay, so I don't really see a problem there, mating a trans up will be the interesting choice, but something could be made to adapt! :)

Good luck!
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

psshhhht wrote:nothing sounds as good as a boxer I reckon

i dont agree there :D

an RB26 at full song is the sweetest noise, especially if ya driving it like ya stole it... :mrgreen:
Image Image
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

At tafe we have a 3.5L rover V8 rearmounted in a suzuki mightyboy with a subaru AWD automatic transaxle gearbox hangin off the back directly linked to the rear wheels

So.. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say yeah its possible :lol: along with anything else if you can make it work
many ways it can be done too, but apart from AWD, are there any gearboxes made for a boxer in rear wheel form?

I know porche make a boxer 6 but they're rear engine and i presume transaxle too, or you could attempt to use a subaru AWD box in 2wd form just like we did at tafe

I'm too tired to think right now, not sure why I even decided to write this reply.. musta thought it was more interesting before I started typing
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

If I was going the rwd only route I was thinking the subaru Awd box in 2wd form would be the easiest way to go, as I'd need a front cut of a suby to get the wiring, computer and all the emissions controls ect that are needed for rego, so the box would be with that. A rover V8 in a mightyboy, dang that'd have to have good power to weight! I'm a fan of anything different in cars, one of the reasons I like my GH's, I was also thinking if the boxer dosent work maybe a Ford Cosworth 4cyl engine, since they make 700-900 horsepower reliably and i love the sound from the external gears and twin overhead cams lol. But if anyone has any unusal engine ideas tell me and i'll look into them lol.
S1GMARE

Post by S1GMARE »

psshhhht wrote:nothing sounds as good as a boxer I reckon
Those engines sound like they are miss firing.
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

The sound of a screaming BDA would rival that of the boxer or rb.

Have a listen to the r32 in this vid it was built by stuie from Bezerkly Automotive it had all the skyline guys drooling at there track day (poor quality vid but the sound is awsome).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MNpy7MBDTs

cheers Mic
Last edited by mic_77 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

BDA? I'm pretty much self taught and dont get some of this, isnt a RB26 the same as R32 motor?
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

S1GMARE I'll have to agree with you on that, but if I put the 4wd drive system in it I'd have to take it rallying and I'd probably set the motor up to run a backfiring system, and at least nothing else sounds like them and it'd be different!
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

haha each to their own I guess, a lot of people love the RB26 sound, but for some reason it never did anything for me, even when I was GTR crazed... the boxer throb just sounds so bloody awesome to me... it alone is the reason I'd consider buying a WRX lol
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

For my Sigma GN project I considered a 1JZ/2JZ swap or putting the complete running gear from an EVOIV into the Sigma. 1JZ has been put into a GH before and just fits. I can't find the link to it at the moment. From the measurement I did, the 1JZ would fit into the Sigma GJ-GN ok. The radiator might need to be moved forward though. As for the 2JZ, I think you'd need either a custom lower cross member, or a bonnet hump. With the unmodified EVOIV running gear, it would be possible, but would take a heap of work. The guards would have to be rolled or modded to fit. From what I worked out, the rear diff on the EVOIV with stock wheels would fit under the Sigma with 3mm space either side of the wheel and the guard. Since I am low on funds at the moment, I went with an unconventional EFI conversion on the Astron II instead. As for the sound of the RBs, I would say the JZs sound so much better.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

1JZ in a GH Sigma.
stealth

Post by stealth »

id have to say blown alcohol hemi in a boat is the best noise ive ever heard :o
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
webby

Post by webby »

I prefer the Group B Audi quattro's exhaust note myself, though I've got to admit the BDA's sound damn cool at full noise as well
I reckon one of those 5.4L Jag V12's (ala TWR Group A tourer) would go alrite in a siggy, or a 'busa motor, if you could get the car light enough
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

i love the sound of a 6 with triple webers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAXGuD_f3Kw
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
S1GMARE

Post by S1GMARE »

John Candys car in "Uncle Buck" is the best sound I've heard. That thing's a beast.

But seriously I think this sounds a bit better that a wrx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efID00W3F7I
Last edited by S1GMARE on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I actually like the sound of a stock Astron I 2.6L engine revving to around 4.5krpm.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Cottees wrote:I actually like the sound of a stock Astron I 2.6L engine revving to around 4.5krpm.
:shock: :lol:
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

S1GMARE wrote: But seriously I think this sounds a bit better that a wrx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efID00W3F7I

Hear that every day gets boring after a while.

cheers Mic
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

Cottees wrote:I actually like the sound of a stock Astron I 2.6L engine revving to around 4.5krpm.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what ever floats ya boat i guess
Image Image
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

yeah i reckon that bike sounds crap... like the cool factor having a helicopter engine is there, but far out I would crack the shits if I listened to that more than twice! Sorry to totally hijack this thread by the way!
mbrallying

Post by mbrallying »

For those who don't know what a BDA is or have not heard one......DO YOURSELVES A FAVOUR NOW!!

Best sound in the world....especially in the forest..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0orA-AaI ... re=related
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

only thing is a DBA engine is worth more that all ore sigmas rolled into one :lol:

i like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFSGSL3Nrmc

i wouldnt mind putting a 250 crossflow in a sigma
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

amgis_obrut wrote:i love the sound of a 6 with triple webers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAXGuD_f3Kw
or a beema
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61G8uQr18Qc
cheater
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

How about a Sigma with an F1 engine :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knWf7VhL ... re=related
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Hmm a 1j would be nice in a sigma and i quite like the sound of them i got offered 2 soarers with 1jzgte's 1 manual 1 auto for $4500 the auto was complianced was thinking bout buying them swapping the gearboxes over and then selling the other 1 as parts. If anyones interested in them let me know and i can put you in contact with the guy thats selling them id buy them if i had the space but ive already got 5 cars 2 motorbikes and a work van and no garage lol. To make it even better only the van and 2 of the cars have rego everything else is being made roadworthy or done up lol.

Heres my favourite sounding 1j :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV0IFfBpCdg
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

sounds like a 1.5J (2j bottom, 1j head) but yeah not a bad engine... :)
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Here is an interesting engine swap.