Electric Fuel Pumps

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Sigmaproject

Electric Fuel Pumps

Post by Sigmaproject »

So the first thing that got the toss when I did the carby turbo conversion was the mechanical fuel pump. I went on eBay and bought a little Pierburg external pump which pumps at 8lb. Bolted it into the engine bay ,fitted a pressure regulator, then basically forgot about it. That was 15 years ago.
Which got me thinking.. how long do these little buggers last.
I know what happened when my VN Commodore fuel pump shit itself, and it was only 5 years old.
I was on a 4 lane highway, in the fast lane. So an instant loss of fuel pressure meant instant engine shutdown, no power steering and only a couple of brake applications before the brakes would be useless. I manged to maneuver between trucks and cars and find a nice spot next to a breakdown phone.
So this morning I was looking at the Pierburg in the Sigma and wondering how long it might be before I should replace it. Waiting for it to fail might not be the best option. :think:

JimmyG

Re: Electric Fuel Pumps

Post by JimmyG »

As long as the fuel is clean they go for ages. Being low pressure they don't suffer the load and wear an EFI pump does. Also a car by motor won't cut out like an EFI one as the fuel bowl will slowly drop fuel mixture as the fuel level drops. More of a slow loss of power till cut out.
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.