Fueling issues 4g52 swapped MD l200

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
protoedwardo

Fueling issues 4g52 swapped MD l200

Post by protoedwardo »

G'day all. I have just completed a 4g52 engine swap into an old nugget MD L200 which had a toasted g63. However, I have run into issues with fuel supply that are really starting to annoy me.

The problem- I cannot for the life of me get fuel flowing from the tank and the car will not run.

Everything works perfectly well off am auxiliary tank. However, plugging the main fuel line back to the metal fuel line on the chassis rail and the car will empty the bowl and promptly die. Fuel just does not want to go from the tank to the carb.

I have tried filling the bowl manually, starting and revving trying to get flow, no dice.
I have blown compressed air through the tank forcing fuel through the pump and to the carb, again it runs till the bowl empties.
I have blown air through all the lines, there are no blockages.
Fuel pours from the tank when I take the main fuel line off, so the there isn't a blockage in the tank.

The only things I can think of are:
Weak fuel pump, can pump small distance from auxiliary tank but not several metres to main tank.

Maybe something to do with the vapor system on top of the tank, a blockage etc not sure.

Apart from that it has me stumped! Feel free to through some 2 cents at me or help! Cheers.
Ed.
Superscan811

Re: Fueling issues 4g52 swapped MD l200

Post by Superscan811 »

Have you replaced the fuel filter?
Had a similar problem with a MK Triton. The filter was "hidden" behind one of the chassis rails near the fuel tank.

Also, is the fuel pump electric or the mechanical one that runs off the cam?

Cheers.
protoedwardo

Post by protoedwardo »

Cheers for the reply,
Yeah I found a filter at the tank end, I bypassed it to eliminate in case it was faulty. Bought a new one, yet to put it on.

It's a mechanical fuel pump that runs off the cam, the original pump was shot so I replaced it with one off a 4g54, physically it looked identical to what was there.

I have a clear fuel filter in the engine bay and it doesn't fill, I can see it the fuel pulsating though.

Thanks.
Ed.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Sounds like you have a dud fuel pump.

Some of them are able to be rebuilt, but, the problem is the service kits usually cost around the same as a new pump.

Remove the fuel line from the carby and place the hose in an empty container. Turn the engine over the engine over for 10 seconds and if you should get at least 1/2 cup of fuel..

Cheers.
protoedwardo

Post by protoedwardo »

Cheers for the advice, you were correct! It was a dud pump!

I bit the bullet and got a brand new pump off the shelf. $95 later and the old ute was running like a champ.

I was mislead by the old pump as everything worked off an auxiliary tank.

Funny side note, after I got it running I excitedly got everything ready for a quick spin around the block. Sunk my foot into the brake, my foot just kept going. Needless to say I'll be doing the brakes tomorrow haha.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.