3D Printing!

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
mstrrab1992

3D Printing!

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Hello People.

Recently purchased a 3D Printer as ive been learning AUTOCAD drawing the past couple of months and putting my feelers out to see what people may want printed.

I have been thinking about doing a range of things as pretty much I guess I could print just about anything? granted it may take a couple of months to get the hang of putting it from computer to machine to make it look good

but I have been thinking about any little mould clips, interior clips, linkages, custom badges, etc the list is endless, what do you people reckon would be some good things to start printing?
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
endlss

Re: 3D Printing!

Post by endlss »

if you need some help with the 3d side of things i might be able to help
http://www.coroflot.com/endlss
how large can you go with the printer your looking at
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

220mm x 220mm x 230mm high
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
LSX

Post by LSX »

I think start with mould clips,
woops

Post by woops »

Are you using 3D autocad? I use Autodesk inventor at work for most of our designs and is a fair bit easier in my opinion to use for 3D modelling.

I've dabbled a bit with the 3D printer at work for making up some basic 3D models for our customers. I've also measured and modelled up a couple of designs for a 3D printing company for their customers. The problem we've found is getting the resolution but we only had a basic cheap printer. Also the strength of the components can be a bit lacking at times and also the support structure for more complex 3d parts have been an issue when you have a part that has an area that needs to be supported in the printing process. Also when you go up in size to about 100 to 150mm square there is often problems with the corners lifting from the bed due to areas of the part cooling at different rates.

I've also gotten some 3D scanning done for scanning the exterior of a car at various states of disassembly for designing parts to fit.

I have plans sometime to get some galant parts done but the technology isn't really there for doing interior or exterior replacement parts. I would really like to make replacement C-pillar trims for the coupes and sedans but that I know would would take a lot of work with scanning and cleaning up the model just to be able to print it. And then the printer would be unable to print the textured detail on the face.

The demo's they show on youtube of getting a part scanned and then making a 3d printed part usually skips out a few days to weeks of the processing required to get from A to B.

The small clips I would say would be a good starting point and then try to go up in scale from there.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

Yeah I guess it's just a starting point the printer I got isn't the most flash one on the market. But I think it'll be alright for some things. I'm going to start with mould clips and for my lancer hatch I wanna try to print some latches that hold the back window shut. Most of the things I wanna print don't have to be pretty they have to be functional. Even things like the knobs on the heater/cooler dash don't have to be pretty just work. But I've experimented with a phew prints my uncles printed for me in the past on actually being able to get them smootheed out and painted so that you wouldn't know it was printed. Guess I'll have to wait and keep everyone updated on how I go.

If anyone has any designs they've made and want printed I can do that for cost of the filament which is roughly 35-40cents per gram.
barana

Post by barana »

Have you sent. The glass fibre reinforced petg? Was thinking I could print a thermostat housing with that one, except I read it dissolves with aromatic hydrocarbons. :( wonder if they make a. High temp grade nylon version.