Engine ID

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
bobburner40

Engine ID

Post by bobburner40 »

Hi All,
I have just bought myself a LB Lancer hatch and am slowly starting the project but am having trouble identifying the engine.
Engine number starts with M560Z, also has timing chain
I'm thinking it has had a swap out with a 2.6L sigma but am not certain.
If this is the case was there a belt driven version rather than chain as I would prefer to build one with a belt?
Is anyone able to clarify this for me before I go ahead and order a whole bunch of incorrect parts for a rebuild.

Thanks in advance
Sigmaproject

Re: Engine ID

Post by Sigmaproject »

You really need to put up a couple of pics ;-)
bobburner40

Post by bobburner40 »

Ok will do, anything in particular you want me to photograp?
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Just the general layout. If it is an Sigma Astron it will look something like this..

bobburner40

Post by bobburner40 »

If you need anything else please let me know. The more info I get the better :-)
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Astron I.......4G52 (2.0L) or 4G54 (2.6L)

only difference are the bore/stroke
Built with pride, Driven in anger
bobburner40

Post by bobburner40 »

Is there any guide as to how I can figure out which one it is (2 or 2.6 litre) without pulling it apart.
I was hoping to get another engine the same to build then put it in rather than have as much down time with the car.
Also is there any need for me to worry about narrow or wide block since I know there are a few different option with some L300 vans I have worked on in the past?
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

The Sigma blocks will have 2.0 or 2.6 cast into the side under the starter motor.

Sigma engines have wide and narrow versions. All 2.0 Astrons are narrow, 2.6 Automatics are narrow, and Magna engines are narrow. Only the 2.6 manual from a Sigma uses the wide bellhousing, along with some other oddities such as the Pajero etc.

There is good chance that the engine you have is narrow, so that it would have bolted up to the original gearbox.
bobburner40

Post by bobburner40 »

Thanks for that, I will have another look tomorrow to see if I can find some castings under the starter. I've had no luck so far finding any but was hoping the engine numbers may have helped? If I can't figure out exactly what engine I have I guess I will go to plan "c" lol :-)