Waterless Coolant

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Sigmaproject

Waterless Coolant

Post by Sigmaproject »

Anybody running waterless coolant ?? I was going to give it a crack..until I worked out the cost. :(
5 litres of Evans Waterless Coolant will set you back around $120.00. And for a Sigma you will need two packs.
And a cleanout of the system prior to adding the coolant is another $ 72.00 for 5 litres. So I should imagine that will require two packs as well.

There is an Australian produced alternative from Liquid Intelligence ..that costs a whooping $166.50 for 5 litres.

It is a brilliant idea..no water = no corrosion..ever. And the boiling point is almost twice that of water. And it does not expand..so no more pressure issues when the old girl starts running a bit hot.
Superscan811

Re: Waterless Coolant

Post by Superscan811 »

The main thing coolant does is to absorb heat from the engine and release it via the radiator.

Water is VERY good at doing that.

When you add corrosion inhibitors and other chemicals into the water, it gets harder for it to absorb and/or release that heat, but the cooling system is designed to cater for that.

While I don't know the Waterless Coolants' specific rate of heat absorption and release, I'd guess it isn't as efficient, which would mean, most probably, you would also need to beef up your cooling system a bit to cater for it.

Not a major issue but it's something to check.

Cheers.