G63B sohc head questions

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
geezer101

G63B sohc head questions

Post by geezer101 »

Well guys, today I collected the head off my G63B sohc engine from the machine shop and had a good look over it. On closer inspection I started having thoughts on this head's origins as it appeared to be a low km/recon'd head when I first removed it. My suspicion is it is actually off a FWD EFI'd G63B and had been hatchetted to go onto the RWD engine I had taken it off. Any thoughts or insight into the origins of this particular head? - Image
(^in this pic it appears that the fuel pump void had been knocked out and ground to adapt a mechanical fuel pump - I requested the EGR gallery be drilled, tapped and a threaded bung be installed)
(^to me the forward end of the head is missing coolant galleries - left end of the head, maybe between the combustion chambers too...?)
Decrepit

Re: G63B sohc head questions

Post by Decrepit »

I just checked the starion head and it looks exactly the same as yours. I had to remove the blanking plate for the fuel pump and the rectangular cut out is there. I also checked two heads I have for G62b engines and they are the same with the exception of one which has a round fuel pump cut out (engine out of an early l300 I believe). The coolant galleries all appear to be the same as yours. If you want pics, let me know and I will dig out the camera.
Randolph.
1974 GC Galant Hardtop (restoration project - Slow)
1975 GC Galant Hardtop VR4Turbo (pulled out and changed back to a G32B - soon to be a G62BT)
1979 LC Lancer Hatch (50% mine) - Orange & Black - G32B (Son's daily)
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Thanks for the swift response Decrepit. This engine had only done 180,000 k's and was treated brutally - it made me question why it needed a recon'd head (which was a pretty ordinary effort + the adhesive sealant on the gasket was still pliable). And now my noob moment - maybe I should've inspected my block for the corresponding coolant galleries (and no, there isn't any... :facepalm: )
simon

Post by simon »

hi, this is probably a bizarre question, but is there any similarity between the 62/63 sohc heads and the 4g15 heads on mirage/jumbucks etc [heads or manifolds interchange]?
simon
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

They are a different generation of engine and at first glance the mounting stud locations for the manifolds are different. Plus there is a point where the engine configuration changed too (from left side of a FWD engine bay to the right)
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks Geezer,i have a jumbuck and was thinking a cordia 62 [even as a high comp N/A] with jumbuck type manifolds might go unnoticed
simon
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The 4G15 doesn't run a distributor off the side of the head but these engines being injected from factory shouldn't be that bigger deal to turbo charge. And the G62B Cordia turbo engine runs a genuinely awful single injector set up that in stock form ran a little lean (cracked turbo manifolds are a common occurrence)