MSD questions

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Jordan1249

MSD questions

Post by Jordan1249 »

So im thinking about buying one of these

And one of these

my question is about the second one the iginition like how does it work and what does it do and finally how does it hook up ?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
amgis_obrut

Re: MSD questions

Post by amgis_obrut »

what are you hoping to achieve with it ?
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

im hoping more power i know the coil should help a little with that just have no idea what MSD iginition does haha
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

i thought that was more for EFI......
isn't there to magnify the amount of voltage to make sure the spark is sufficient in high HP applications?
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I've heard mixed opinions on MSD ignition. Some reckon it's da bomb - others reckon it's an expensive box that contains mostly hype. The only aftermarket ignition component I've ever used are Bosch 'T' (transformer) coils. A decent ignition upgrade won't give you more 'power' but it will aid performance via more efficient combustion/fuel economy and will hold it's own when you start pushing engine rpm (this is where the demand on the coil is greatest).
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

yeah i think the MSD boxes are more for when u run magneto style of coils........i'm guessing the more HP u make...the more effective MSD is.

In our applications.....the expense is not worth the "benefit"
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

so can i use it on carby motor and how do you hook it up ?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

IMO... Buy this..

Crane Cams Fireball XR3000 electronic ignition.

Found on eBay for about $150. You will need a different coil (crane cams PS91 coil). What it does is increase the strength of your spark, and the also the amount of spark... You remove the guts of the dizzy, and replace it all with an optic sensor and a shutter. That's it...

Just an option :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Ignition amplifiers are only needed if you have hi compression/boost or running exotic fuels
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

my compression is up as high as these motors can be and ill look into those 75 just trying.to.find.out info about these dont.really understand it that muxh
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

From what I have read and used, A CDI unit is good. It has more "spark energy" so for a high comp or boosted application, they are great. For a normal engine, the idle and low rpm are smoother but apart from that, no other noticeable improvements are had.

Even with my 11.2:1 comp engine running E85, I'm using a Ford EDIS system, which is not CDI (capacitive discharge Ignition), just wasted spark. I don't have any problems with it at all.

The 12½:1 and 14½:1 comp engines I'm currently building will be a different story. I'll be using a CDI unit for both of them because of the higher comp and I have been informed that E85, if running very rich , equivalent to 10:1 with petrol, will make more power BUT requires the CDI to properly ignite the air fuel mix.

Horses for courses..

For your application, I'd first try the standard ignition. If you get some missing, then go to the CDI. If that fixes it, use it.

Cheers.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

what do you mean standard ignition ?
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

and how do these things hook up what are they connected to
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Superscan811 wrote: For your application, I'd first try the standard ignition. If you get some missing, then go to the CDI. If that fixes it, use it.
Jordan1249 wrote:what do you mean standard ignition ?
He means the factory distributor and coil pack.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

ive been using the standard for over a year now its shit.house.i hate points and everything about.it :p
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Jordan1249 wrote:how does it work and what does it do and finally how does it hook up ?
GOOGLE.

PDF User Manual for the MSD PN6425.

HOW DOES IT WORK AND WHAT DOES IT DO - Page 1.
HOW TO WIRE IT UP - Page 17, bottom wiring diagram.

Cheers.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Haha yer so you need electronic dizzy for that second unit ? Also didn't know if it was a universal hook up or different for galants haha
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Jordan1249 wrote:ive been using the standard for over a year now its shit.house.i hate points and everything about.it :p
I'm not gonna flame you for for hating on neanderthal tech - but if you're prepared to learn how to use a dwell meter, feeler gauges and a timing light you will be surprised on what can be achieved (this depends on what condition your existing distributor and ignition components are in) The distributor set up on a Galant is already behind the 8 ball due to it being timed off the crank and not the cam - as soon as you have any timing chain issues it will have more of an effect than something running a cam driven distributor...
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Jordan1249 wrote:Haha yer so you need electronic dizzy for that second unit ? Also didn't know if it was a universal hook up or different for galants haha
MSD SYSTEMS Installing to Points/Amplifier Style Ignition. Page 10. Exactly the same wiring as Page 17.

The MSD PN6425 unit has provision for points, hall effect and electronic pickups.

When you are given the information you requested, please take a bit of time and read it thoroughly.

Cheers.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Thanks superscan hadnt had time to read it tbh only just got home was posting from phone but just opened it up then and gunna have a look

geezer101 wrote:
Jordan1249 wrote:ive been using the standard for over a year now its shit.house.i hate points and everything about.it :p
I'm not gonna flame you for for hating on neanderthal tech - but if you're prepared to learn how to use a dwell meter, feeler gauges and a timing light you will be surprised on what can be achieved (this depends on what condition your existing distributor and ignition components are in) The distributor set up on a Galant is already behind the 8 ball due to it being timed off the crank and not the cam - as soon as you have any timing chain issues it will have more of an effect than something running a cam driven distributor...

I have all those things i know how to use my timing light not sure about dwell and feelers(i know what feelers are for) i think my coil is in need for an upgrade tbh and i wanna move away from points on the mere fact im sick of when ever my points or contacts are worn i loose my taco reading it annoys me lol and plus electronic has power bonuses One day geezer you will teach me they ways of how to use all those things and master them :D