fuel tank sumps

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
brendon

fuel tank sumps

Post by brendon »

Hey guys,

curious to know if anyone knows why most fuel tank sumps are a wedge shape rather than a box or any other shape.
I suspect its a drag racing thing, but I would have thought a box shape would be the best for everyday application.
interested in peoples thoughts

cheers
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
amgis_obrut

Re: fuel tank sumps

Post by amgis_obrut »

I guess its to funnel the fuel to the outlet, I doubt it would make any difference if it were square
fuel cannot slosh out as the drilled tank acts like a baffle
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

brendon wrote:Hey guys,

curious to know if anyone knows why most fuel tank sumps are a wedge shape rather than a box or any other shape.
I suspect its a drag racing thing, but I would have thought a box shape would be the best for everyday application.

cheers

For everyday commuting.......a dedicated 'sump' wouldn't be absolutely essential

I've always thought that if you run a lil section in the shape and size of a big oil filter (about the size of the Z9 Ford I6 and V8 oil filter)....and run the pump right in the middle of it......that would be the best application.......but thats just a guess.....havent done any testing or anything liek that
Built with pride, Driven in anger
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Scorpma82 wrote:
brendon wrote:Hey guys,

cheers

For everyday commuting.......a dedicated 'sump' wouldn't be absolutely essential

I've always thought that if you run a lil section in the shape and size of a big oil filter (about the size of the Z9 Ford I6 and V8 oil filter)....and run the pump right in the middle of it......that would be the best application.......but thats just a guess.....havent done any testing or anything liek that
the std tank in the GE get bad surge at Winton and other tracks due to the G forces - I fitted a surge tank like an EFI car needs even with Webers as they would run dry in a couple of places once the full load was under 1/2 tank
cheater