GC hazards

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
A112H

Re: GC hazards

Post by A112H »

I think you are all hooked up and ready to go, just looks like someone has cut the knob off.
Try screwing a wood screw into that and see if it will pull out
A112H

Post by A112H »

Ah, you have a sports steering wheel mate. You need to screw the steering wheel back on and pull it off with the boss attached, that's why you can't see the screws that hold the indicator mechanism in place, lol
But as I said above, I would be screwing a sharp screw, like a wood screw into that hole in the centre there, where it looks like it has been cut off
Jordan1249 wrote:Image thats where the thingy should be i think sorta looks like been filed down or something
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

alright so out here again no mozzies this time and screwed the screw in and it goes in and out but no hazards come on but it does cut out the blinker if blinkers on(might be the rely thing you mentioned earlier)

only one of the 3 cables has power with it in and out(might not of tapped into them good with test light tho its big and awkward)

cant get the steering wheel thingy off still yanked on hard didnt even move a bit from 5 minutes of pulling

is there a way where i can just cut the 3 wires and run them to a switch ?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yep, no reason you can't run it to a switch. Does sound like you need a flasher can though, maybe just a fuse
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Alright so my message messed up for 3rd time but lucky i copy and pasted last message :P

Where are fuses (i typeed out whats in my fuse box not doing again took to long)

And if i cut the now what i know to be 5 wires how do i hook it up

Also mate said they should stil just turn on and not flash without a flasher so might be fuse
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Yeah, without a can (and it does sound like yours is missing...), I would have expected the lights to come on. I can't remember if there is a separate fuse for the hazards, but I'll double check on mine a little later today...
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

So how would i hook up the 5 wires to a 3 pin switch and where should the flasher be ?
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hmmm, that depends on what the 5 wires actually do, and what they're connected to. Are you sure that's the right loom/connector? I'll double check the wiring diagram tonight and work out what the cables are doing...
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

its the one jason pointed out in above picture and idk cause i cant get my steerwheel mount off
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

I just double checked my fuse box, and there's no separate fuse for the hazards, just a single fuse for the turn signal (FYI, fuse 7, which is the last one on either the top or bottom... I never remember which way they go!).

I've been thinking about the wiring some more, and would guess that the three cables are set up as a single power line, and the other two go to left and right turn signals via the flasher can. No it depends on exactly how the wiring is set up, but if the can is missing, it's possible that the switch is not connecting to anything. Of course the can may be before the switch, and/or the switch could go to earth rather than power, but I think these are unlikely. So you may need to plug in a can, and you'll be sweet.

As for the five cables, the only thing I can think of is that they're extra poles, but I don't know why you would have them, or that you have two independent poles and four switch wires (but then the fifth makes no sense). When you finally get to pull the loom out, try and get a multimeter in the connector to work out what each connector/wire does. Hopefully one is 12V, and two connect to that 12V when the switch is pulled. Good luck with it!
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Jordan1249 wrote:
Image thats where the thingy should be i think sorta looks like been filed down or something
Yeah, it looks like it's been cut off with a hacksaw or something...
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

i think switch is definately connected as when i switch it on and if a blinker is going it cuts it off...

Had no luck today getting that sports wheel mount off so gave up put back together and finished my sound system and also rego'd it today so not a complete waaste of a day
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

so i was about to put the cover back on and thought stuff it ill test light those wire one more time

top 1st wire -Unknown
2nd wire- blinker
3rd wire- blinker
4th wire- Unknown
5th wire- Constant power

SO how do i hook this to a switch and put a blinker can thing in as well i followed the loom and it plugs into the main loom right there would be near impossible to fit on in
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Well, at least it seems to confirm the theory that you only need three wires! Don't know why they've run the extra two up there though... As for where the can plugs in, I vaguely recall it's somewhere under the dash towards the fuse box, but I could be well wrong. It's been around 15 years since I last did this, and there's been a lot of electronics under the bridge since then :)
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

So get blinker can chuck it on those 3 wires and put those 3 wires into my switch ?
A112H

Post by A112H »

You must have an operational flasher can, otherwise you indicators wouldn't work.
If you want the lights to flash when arming and disarming and don't care if the hazard lights works I think I would be just wiring into the indicator loom myself.
I will look under my dash and get you a pic of the can :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, worked out why your hazards don't work :D

The can in the green circle is the indicator can and the can in the yellow circle is the hazard can. You need to fin those wires and hook one up[ and you will be good to go.
They are a solid green and a green with blue trace. They will be up in there somewhere :thumpsup:

Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Atm im more worried about getting hazards working then the lights flashing when i disarm or arm the alarm system so when i see the car next ill have a look for a flasher take some pics and get back to everyone
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Yep, I thought there were two cans :) Hopefully this is an easy one from here on Jordan!
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

had a quick look today broke a bit of my aircon piping and didnt find a second can found what i think is for the blinkers which is a clear one but no green wires :(
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Does anyone know the colour of the wires that go intot he silver can
A112H wrote:Okay, worked out why your hazards don't work :D

The can in the green circle is the indicator can and the can in the yellow circle is the hazard can. You need to fin those wires and hook one up[ and you will be good to go.
They are a solid green and a green with blue trace. They will be up in there somewhere :thumpsup:

LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hi Jordan, how are you tracking with this one... I haven't had a chance to look for the wires unfortunately, though there's no guarantee mine will be the stock original colour anyway :)
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

At the moment definately no second flasher on it and cant locate the 2 wires jason has pointed out
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Fun times! I'll see if I can get time on the weekend to find mine :)