Boot Dirt

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Jordan1249

Boot Dirt

Post by Jordan1249 »

So in my boot (ill try get a photo up in next few days) i dont have carpet or anything just metal i presume its because its an ex rally car,
anyway ive noticed alot of dirt and grim and shit in my boot thats collected over the years especially down the sides i can pull at least a
handful out of those deep side bits in the galants

So my question is how or what is the best approach to clean it out because i wanna sand it and respray and rust proof it i thought
of hosing it out but i feel that wouldnt help with the rust in the boot aahah
79_lancer

Re: Boot Dirt

Post by 79_lancer »

Some cars have a plastic or rubber bung plug in the lower guards. Not 100% sure with galants tho. You could either use a vacuum cleaner to get pretty much all of it out, then maybe a damp cloth to clean the rest? Otherwise, drill a hole in the bottom of the panel, let it our out then I guess you could hose it out. To patch it, either weld a piece back in or make the hole a suitable size and fit a removable plug, like the ones in the floor pan but maybe a bit smaller ( just incase it's a re-occurring problem.)
If you do hose it out, use compressed air to dry it quicker to help prevent it rusting.
Hope this helps :)
Cheers,
Dave
1979 LC lancer ( possibly awaiting big plans )

1979 LC lancer ( other daily )

1968 VE valiant safari wagon ( EOI $1800 ONO )

2007 Nissan pathfinder (daily )

GD Galant, hothouse green ( hopefully finished.... Some time....)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea I had the same issue..

These old girls have a pretty poor excuse for a drain plug. I used a blower vac (outdoor blower and a vuccuum in one), with a long hose adapted to it... Then hosed the rest out...

Of you're worried about the rust, I suggest oil it up first :) won't stop it completely! But will help :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

Go down the local self serve car wash and use their vacuum to suck it out. I do all sorts of stuff down there I am probably "not supposed" to do :)
They caught me years ago with a gearbox on the floor, lucky for me I had already degreased it and was just rinsing but he wasn't happy, lol
"Hey, you can't do that "
"Looks like I just did"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

he wasn't happy, lol
"Hey, you can't do that "
"Looks like I just did"

Hahah jason shoulda been like its self serve if you dont like it come wash my car for me ahaha