Your Boot

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Jordan1249

Your Boot

Post by Jordan1249 »

Basically want together ideas of how and what people have done to your boot to make it rust proof and neat

i was thinking of carpeting my GC galant boot but idk what or how to do it any help would be appreciated
75glnt

Re: Your Boot

Post by 75glnt »

I'll be getting some paint on body deadener, then some resomat to stop any unwanted rattles :) after that I will be doing an entire false floor/wall setup with "speaker carpet". It's the black carpet they wrap sub boxes in. I'll be using mdf as its light and easy to work with...

For designs, see scorpma (I'm pretty sure he was creating all sorts for his car a while back)?

Good luck, and post you're results for us to see :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

I haven't done anything special, but my first suggestion of rust-proofing is to make sure any leaks are gone. I've often noticed small holes at the seams in the section just below the rear window in my various Galants, in the body that's under the top corners of the boot lid when it's closed. Definitely work on that :-)

And then of course, a good seal is good, and helps settle rattle too (you can adjust the boot-close so that it's nice and tight... just make sure it's latched properly before driving off!). Rare spares is good for boot seals.

Other than that, I'm fairly stock, but do have a whole heap of carpet underlay (left over from when I did the carpet) to replace the horrible hessian-fluff stuff that came originally. My brother's used a latex soundproofing material in his car (a VW, but we won't talk about that here), which is also good.

Good luck!
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

i wanna get a new boot seal rubber thing but the only thing is that what you mount it on is rusted out so i have to glue it or something any ideas of what to do ?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

How bad is the boot gutter? Is it gone or just a few bubbles of rust? Anyway, use a product like 'fast grip' which is a brush on cohesive glue - a bit on the boot seal edge and a bit in the seal itself. You can get it at the big hardware shops like Bunnings etc. Obviously you're going to need to repair the boot gutter before doing the seal...
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

its completely gone what would i dont about that rust spreading ?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Got 2 options with the gutter - get it repaired by a pro workshop or do a DIY deal (fibreglass or try welding a new section in). I've used this stuff before to seal rust and it worked o.k.- Image You can paint over it too once its dried as it makes an excellent primer base.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

do you know if you can get it in like spray gun form
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Yes..

'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Unfortunately, all of these low cost options are only very temporary. The only permanent way to stop existing rust from spreading ,is to cut it out, and weld in new sections.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Should get back onto the trimming part of the boot...I've used black meltrim (the stuff they cover most sub boxes in) to cover both inner panels and seat backs with. It stretches and is pretty pliable, is easy to cut and spray bond adhesive holds it in place nicely. I have done a full hinged cargo floor panel and retrim in a Colt hatch and it looked tidy, and I started the boot in my crappy Astra but ran out of both meltrim and the mojo to finish it off :roll: (and don't give me any stick about it needing a vacuum - this thing wasn't going anywhere after I took the first pics...)ImageImageImage...and what it looked like straight after I finished it -Image