Fender mirrors

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
75glnt

Fender mirrors

Post by 75glnt »

Hey guys! :)

What do we all think of fender mirrors? Personally I love em :) but it's always hard to pick!

Eg. I'm trying to find a suitable pair for the gb. But, do I go round, to suit the lights and factory mirrors (they're removed)? Or do I go square to suit the shape of the car? Black or chrome? All these decisions make it difficult!

Other things to take onto play. Usability. From the door mounted mirrors where things are easily visible, to the fender, where its now like looking into a passenger door mirror, everything's further away. Meaning you have to look harder, thus not paying as much attention to the road..

It would be easy if we could just stick them on for a week, see if we like em. If not, no harm done, no holes to fill :)

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Re: Fender mirrors

Post by A112H »

Should have the little 'bullet' style mirrors but the square ones look good on these two.

Like these I had on mine
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea unfortunately I don't like the factory ones... A little to chunky for my liking :)

I like the stem on yours, but with the round mirror might go well :)

How where the ones on your hardtop to use?? How hard where they to see into?
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

I love fender mirrors to use. Seriously, they are so much safer and easier to see around you than door mounted, I think all cars should have them.
Next time you are in your car, look out the passenger side mirror and think about the movement it takes to do it. You need to turn your head and eyes away from the road.
With fender mirrors you can see every mirror and all around your car without looking away from the road.
They are brilliant.
OH, and I love how they look on older cars too :P

Standard view from driving position

Versus fender mirrors
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Ah I see :D it look awesome! Thanks for that jase :)

Love the dash by the way :P the white is awesome!

I've tapped some old ones onto my guards before to see, but I only had 1. So I couldn't get it right..
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

No worries mate! :D

#2 IMO

But personally I prefer round/oval style
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

The Hillman Imp are the only "legal" mirrors for Australia. The first two are solid mount and are the reason fender mirrors were removed from imported cars in the first place. The Hillman mirrors are spring mounted so they will flex out of the way if you hit someone.
One and two are the same, different sellers attaching different car model names to them but they are the same mirrors.
four is door mounted and will look silly on the fenders.

Personally, it is worth spending the extra money and getting NOS quality items over these cheap nasty repros
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Wanna sell me a set? :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

lol, sorry mate I have no spares. Still looking for a good set of mirrors for the GTO :P
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Get what you mean jase but for some reason i really like the black squarish type mirrors not sure why..
A112H

Post by A112H »

Me too, mine has NOS black ones now. They are from a GSII Galant :D

hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Looks sick! Love the stance your coupe has, what did you do to the rear end? Reset leaves? Wish I had a coupe :think:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheers hengagc75. Has reset leaves and 2 inch blocks, lol
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

How do the lowering blocks feel? Is it a good ride? I was thinking of 1.5" and reset leaves 2 inch
A112H

Post by A112H »

Feels good, pretty stiff but handles really well and is fun in the twisties. One day I will hook a go-pro up and run it through the hills
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Did you buy your sleeve kit from otomoto? Thinking of coil overs in the front too.. Know any for sale ? :P
A112H

Post by A112H »

I bought mine with the sleeves but had to build them from there, inserts, springs and tops. They are 100% over the old oil filled rubbish.
I have another set here I bought complete and they look like the otomoto gear. I bought these for the GTO so haven't driven on them yet. They should be a bit softer as they have a help spring as well as the main spring. The GC just has one main 280lb spring.
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

There is a nice set of AP5 valiant chrome mirrors on ebag for sale for $100..add some serious old school style.