REVS

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Jordan1249

REVS

Post by Jordan1249 »

SO for a while now i havent had revs in my GC galant and i sorta want them back every now and then it would come back for bout an hour or so then just drop out does anyone know what this could be or point me in the right direction to start looking
75wagon
Admin

Re: REVS

Post by 75wagon »

That's a really hard answer for me without seeing what the car does, and being able to play with it to work it out as I go.
But that doesn't help you much. Is there anything that you have changed recently and it has gone bad after that, or alternatively, have you gone through and checked the basics like:
- point gap
- fuel filter
- spark plugs and plug gap
- ignition leads
- rotor button and cap
- fuel level in your carb
- timing

Does it idle any rougher then normal?
Check the oil and coolant as well for contamination, could even be a blown head gasket, but like my first comment, hard to tell without hearing and playing with it myself.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
lance

Post by lance »

If the car runs fine but doesn't have any top end power now and then . Maybe warn linkages or if it has a vac leak to the second barrel
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Dave everything seem fines regular services but the guy i brought it off said that the points needed to be done soon would that really affect the rev odometre thingy ahaha
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

He is talking about tacho not actual revs I think?

Just sounds like a loose wire

Check the wires on the negative side of the coil and fiddle with the wires up behind the dash.

Also just try tapping it while engine on to see if it's stuck
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

yer the taco, the rev levels and everything is fine my dash just isnt showing me how much revs i have
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:lol: I get it now!!! I was assuming it was the engine you were having issues with :P

:stupid:
N/A ALL THE WAY
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

so negative side of my coil do i fiddle while its off or idling and the coil looks fairly old should i replace the whole unit and see if that fixes it ?
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

just check that the wires are on tight at the moment, if you are not having any engine problems and its just you Tachometer messing up your coil will be fine
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

when i get some spare time i might take the dash apart is it hard to do ?
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... ch#p103061 - here's a pic of what's going on in the back of an instrument cluster. You can see the circuits are marked on the board so finding out what is going where is easy as :thumpsup:
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Ok cheers will take apart my dash when i have some time ahah