Alternator issues!

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
75glnt

Alternator issues!

Post by 75glnt »

Hey guys! For a while I've been having some issues with the altenator in my galant.

What happens is, when its plugged in so it chargers. It makes a "belt squeal" sound around the 1500rpm and above. But as soon as I unplug it, it stops. I've bought a new belt and tightened it more than once to make sure. And it still does it. It's not a standard one, and I don't know what it's from :P lol

I can get a vid for anyone that needs it. But it'll have to wait until tomorrow arvo :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
shuggy

Re: Alternator issues!

Post by shuggy »

Sounds like you have the wrong pulley size, wrong belt or the bearings need to be lubed.

When its not plugged in there is no load so no friction on belt
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea when it's not plugged in, it's fine. No noises at all, otherwise I would've led to a bearing also. It's just when it's plugged in
N/A ALL THE WAY
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

.... which means it could well be a bearing. When there's no load on the bearing it could well make no noise.

Pulley size shouldn't make any difference (as long as the belt is the correct profile for the pulleys) but if the pulleys are mis-aligned the belt will squeal.

Have you tried lubricating the belt ? (just squirt some water with a little detergent on it while it's running & see if noise goes away ... that will tell you if it's a belt issue).
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Will try that this arvo :) I will also get a vid this arvo and post it up. I'm working until 4, so it won't be until later.

Thanks guys :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Sorry fellas! No luck on the vid, I plugged it all in, recorded it, and... No squeal :P damn it!
N/A ALL THE WAY
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Keep in mind the lube may or may not identify the cause of the problem, and it may not make the noise go away either :-)

With the alternator unplugged, it has no back emf (force operating against the mechanical force, which generates the electricity), so hence no noise because there's no load :-)

As well as incorrect belt, bearings, and mis-alignment, also check that the alternator is "square" and that the rotor has not been bent or damaged, as this could also cause the problem.

Good luck!
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

It squealed! Lol here's a vid. It's coming from the rear of the alternator

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wx99OyvCsP ... ata_player
N/A ALL THE WAY