Flares vs tubbed

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
75glnt

Flares vs tubbed

Post by 75glnt »

Which one would you go? Flares? It tubbed guards?

Flares; better stance (obviously with the right wheels fitted), and can fit a nice wide, deep offset rim. Oh. And jdm points yo (H) haha :P

Tubbed; wider tyres without changing the track of the car. Keeps it all hidden well. But to fit a nice offset wheel. The diff will need shortening anyway.

Keep in mind I will be using a different diff. So there may be some shortening going on anyway.
N/A ALL THE WAY
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Flares vs tubbed

Post by Scorpma82 »

Use massive bolt-on flares....theme like an early-mid 80's Aussie Touring car

You could call it the "Group LC Big Banger" :lol:
Built with pride, Driven in anger
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Lol no. I think they look stupid! :P

Just a small set like IncorpoRatedX has on the wagon :)

Or mini tubs
N/A ALL THE WAY
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

This one falls into the realm of body/structural mods. I think you won't be getting far with mini tubs without an in-jun-ears report to make it legal (and then you'll have to somehow get the extra tyre width approved)- the flares will be legal, but jamming big feet under them and altering track over the maximum allowed width and offset will, once again, make it an issue for registration approval...
webby

Post by webby »

I'm not a fan of tubbed guards on small cars at all, IMO it looks daft, so I'm going to ignore that option.

Flares then.
Don't go too wide, again, it'll look daft. The shape of the car doesn't suit massively wide flares, not like other, boxier cars, so unless you want to go the whole hog and make it look like a sports sedan keep it sensible. 30mm rear/25mm front per side would be the widest I'd go.
Your guards will need cutting out to suit, otherwise the flares are a waste of time and money.
If you're planning on the whole JDMYO thing, rail it. Stretched tyres look retarded when there's more than a pinkie width at most of guard/tyre gap.
Fat tyres will work with up to an inch of guard/tyre gap.
Make sure whoever does the bodywork does a good job, there's nothing like a badly fitted set of flares to ruin an otherwise good looking car.
MAKE SURE YOUR WHEEL/TYRE COMBO FILLS THE GUARDS. There's absolutely zero point in running flares if you're just going to stick with standard width/offset rims, and again, it will look daft.

Then we come to getting it past rego, which is a whole other kettle of fish that I'm not well-informed enough about Queensland regs to get into.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea I'll look into it before hand.. But I will be running 17x9.5 -13 rota rb-x (so far!) on the rears. And 17x7.5 +20 on the fronts.. Although I may go wider and deeper up front to make sure the flares are full!

I'm not going for the whole JDMYO look. Just a tight flush fit with a small stretch.. Tidy I guess :)

The utes for the jdm stuff ;)

Thanks for your opinions and both are very valid points! Makes it a pain really :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

9.5 wide wheels will fit on a GC sedan by relocating the shocks inboard like a galant wagon set-up and cut away the useless bits and some minor adjustments to the inner wheel tub with a hammer.

Cheers Mic
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea but I have a gb sedan.. Narrower guards :/
N/A ALL THE WAY
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

Same principle applies once the shocks are moved you gain a heap of room.

Cheers Mic
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Oh cool :) will have to look at that.

Had anyone got a pic of a gb sedan with flares?? I wouldn't have a clue how it would look
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

What body shell are we talking here?
Is this for your GB?
If it is the GB, with wheels the sizing you have mentioned, you are going to have to solve the front wheels hitting both the front apron and the firewall when you are turning.
And on the rear you are going to need some pretty serious flares.

Here's a pic of one of my wagons with 16x8 + 10s on it. Wagons share the same rear guards openings as a GA/B.
From my calculations:
With the rear rim sizing you'll be looking at the outside edge of the rim being 30mm further outside the guard.
With the front rim sizing you'll be looking at the outside edge of the rim being approx 16mm further in then what I have in this pic. Saying that though, the GC/D front guards are larger in the wheel arch, and this wagon has GH struts/ brakes which narrows the front wheel track by approx 20mm, so obviously with stock Galant struts/ brakes add another 10mm on that width shown there.
What motor are you planning to run? Will you need to upgrade the front struts/ brakes or keeping the stock Galant ones?

BTW, those 16x8 +10s rub on the firewall and the front wheel arch on full lock in both directions.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

This is for my gb sedan with the well worked 4g32.

If the rears sit out 30mm further out. I might go that size and flares. 30mm rears and 28mm fronts.

Only issue I'm going to have is the front rubbing on the apron and firewall.

I will be running standard galant struts converted to coilovers and adjustable strut tops.

What can I do about the front rubbing?
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Big hammer and a pair of tin snips?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

:lol: good on ya :P but possibly a more... Neater version? Could work? Lol
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Post by A112H »

Not the worst way I have seen, if done well.

http://www.boostcruising.com.au/forums/ ... pic=264875
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

i used a cut off wheel to trim the front of the lower fender and a big hammer to bash in the wheel well area, i run 15x8 0 offset on the front. lowered about 2 inches, no rubs.
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

IncorpoRatedX wrote:i run 15x8 0 offset on the front. lowered about 2 inches, no rubs.
Are you running the standard struts?
If that's the case it's got me buggered how it doesn't rub on the firewall at least.
What tyre size are you running? I'm running 205 50 16 on 16x8 +10 offset and they rub front and rear on GH struts (narrowed track by 20mm) and on my GC wagon I'm running 205 60 13 on 13x6 +5 offset on Galant struts, and they just rub on the firewall on the drivers side.

Dave...
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea I've seen that on drift cars jase. But dodgier :P just pulled the lip out, no cutting or anything.
N/A ALL THE WAY
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I've just bought a set of flares of ebay. I was considering the Topstage ZG flares, but was worried they would be too big. Ended up finding a set a lot closer in size, and cheaper too. Hope they are decent quality and fit OK, I'll find out when they get here.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-bo ... 1197436878
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

its a bit hard to see my front flares - but I just run a plasma cutter around the guard about 20 mm front the bottom edge leaving the last pieces at both ends conected
them pulled the cut section out by hand measuring the distance ( we were aloud 50 mm per side ) I went 40 mm and then using stips of 1 mm sheet added into the guard
a small amound of shaping with a hammer left us just to smooth up with some Bog
I only use a 7" rim as its also max by our racing rules but the wheels are neg 7 off set

the rear was easier I just pumped the guards with a 5 tonne jack once the distance was reached and bit of a tidy up was all that was needed
to use the same rims with a 40 mm wider diff

cheater
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Have you got any pics of that method you used cheaterparts?
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

75wagon wrote:Have you got any pics of that method you used cheaterparts?
sorry I was very slack and didn't bother to take any pics -- My bad I guess
cheater
IncorpoRatedX

Post by IncorpoRatedX »

75wagon wrote:
IncorpoRatedX wrote:i run 15x8 0 offset on the front. lowered about 2 inches, no rubs.
Are you running the standard struts?
If that's the case it's got me buggered how it doesn't rub on the firewall at least.
What tyre size are you running? I'm running 205 50 16 on 16x8 +10 offset and they rub front and rear on GH struts (narrowed track by 20mm) and on my GC wagon I'm running 205 60 13 on 13x6 +5 offset on Galant struts, and they just rub on the firewall on the drivers side.

Dave...

sorry for the late reply, stock struts, cut springs.

tires are 195/50

i hammered the rear of the fenderwell a little, but it clears.
1973 Galant Wagon, 4G63 Turbo | Coil overs | Flares | Work wheels | Follow me on instagram @incoporatedx