LPG Vaporizer Air Conditioner

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
smithdavidjames

LPG Vaporizer Air Conditioner

Post by smithdavidjames »

Random technical brainstorm... use water cooled by the refrigerating effect by the LPG vaporizer in my fuel system as a air cooler in the car via some kind of radiator fan set up... possible?

Background is installed a straight Gas Research LPG system in my car a few years ago which required the removal of the air conditioning system (underdash compressor style). Since the install the engine temps have been well below what they previously where which i put down to the coolant being passed through the LPG vaporizer to stop it freezing as it turns the liquid LPG into gas before it's feed into the engine.

Idea is to reroute cooled water post vaporizer through firewall to radiator & fan set up under the dash to cool air either direct into the car or plumbed into existing air piping. Advantages of this would be that it would not put any additional strain on the engine, be cheap, be compact and relatively light. Major disadvantage is that this could just become a second heater core if the vaporizer did not cool the coolant enough on a especially hot day or if stuck in traffic, which are both times when air con is most appreciated.

Any one have any experience with this...

David
75glnt

Re: LPG Vaporizer Air Conditioner

Post by 75glnt »

So... Tell me if I'm wrong.. :)

But you want a radiator on the inside of your car? That runs water over it from top to bottom with either a fan in front, sucking the air through. Or a fan behind, blowing it out? Like a chicken shed?

That style ^ leaks like a bitch! Lol.. The amount of broken cool pads I've seen is amusing :P

How they work is it has a top tank, the core, and a lower tank that feeds back up to the top.
The core is correlated cardboard placed side to side (so it looks the same as a car radiator), the water drips down onto the cardboard, runs through it all to the bottom. But with a fan in front or behind, it pushed/sucks the wind through the cool water, thus making the air cold. The water gets to the bottom tank and recycles back to the top and starts all over again! :)

If you could make a safe reliable system, that would work a treat :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
Billsy

Re: LPG Vaporizer Air Conditioner

Post by Billsy »

i read it differently.
as in remove (or bypass on a thermostat) the LPG evaporator and circulate water around that between it and a heatercore under the dash, that would cool instead of heat.

the problem with that is the water would freeze up. an AC consdenser runs at below freezing point, so technically while it might be possible to cool the air to an extent, the coolers cooling capacity is going to rely on how much youve got your foot down.

id check your coolant lines and where they run, to me if its running significantly cooler its because they have routed the coolant back through the radiator bypassing the thermostat. i doubt the evaporating lpg is going to cool an engine very much. let alone a cabin on a hot day at idle sitting in traffic.

i would be interested to see how well it works though, keeping in mind youll need a separate circulation pump, heat exchanger and fan and a thermostat to allow warm coolant to mix with it to stop it from freezing up whe the coolers not on cool.
Insert witty one liner here -->