80s Colt, Saturn 1.6, low ks, smokey as!

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Shifta2

80s Colt, Saturn 1.6, low ks, smokey as!

Post by Shifta2 »

So I've owned quite a lot of Mitsis over the years but never a FWD Colt....until now. The model itself has impressed me - 4 door, 60/40 split rear seats that fold into the boot, drives well and good on juice. Overall I can see why people bought them new. Now this thing has 118,000kms on the clock and it seems legit - its fairly neat. The owner also said the rings were done at some point. Ok, so what the hell? Car drives great, as long as you aren't driving behind it! So I'm wondering a few things now:

- Why were these motors so bad?
- Did the galants come out with the same Saturn motor and did they have the same issues?
- Is there anything I can do short of a strip down in order to reduce the likelihood of being defected?

I bought the car as a potential daily as my work is moving and The Sigma Turbo and Challenger aren't ideal for long distance in suburbia. Now I'm wondering whether its just going to be farm hack - it would be a shame as apart from the paint, it's a neat car!

And just for a laugh......a pair of Colts......

77GDWAGON

Re: 80s Colt, Saturn 1.6, low ks, smokey as!

Post by 77GDWAGON »

I had one as a company car years ago.It got shared around alot and was never serviced and ended up with the same problem. I'd say its probaly only had an oil change once a year and the bores are glazied. U could try an oil flush and fresh oil to try and deglaze the bores and free up the rings otherwise u may need to srip the motor.
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

or just drop a 4G63 in it :thumpsup:

i'd like a hatch version of these as a race car, fibreglass panelling, lil twin carb 1600cc donk, twin carbie, Scooby-doo WRX bonnet scoop, 380 Front brakes.....fun, cheap lil package
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

If it's only chuffing smoke from take off then you'll get away with new valve stem seals (for the age of the car the seals will be buggered). These motors aren't bad - it's the same old story...if they're abused through lack of servicing they'll start to rattle and belch smoke like any other engine. As 77GDWAGON has suggested, give it an oil flush and change while you're at it (if the tacho reading is correct this engine has done bugger all work). The motors in these are Sirius engines and are reliable and easy to tune and work on. The 2 main grievances with Colts are the valve stem seals and the CV joints. Other than that they are pretty much bomb proof (but don't expect it to win any races :lol: )
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Image (H)
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

nah i wouldnt expect to win races.....but it would be a blast to drive.....if the car was up against cars of similar egnine sizes.....it would be more competitive
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks guys. The motor is actually a Saturn so maybe it has been swapped at some point? Oil change was the first thing I did when I got it home apart from getting it running. Could not running Valve Saver fluid since Leaded petrol being cut out added to it's demise? Or did 86 colts have unleaded motors?

The smoke is bad at idle and through gears but seems better when it's warm. It's definitely got that oil smell to it :(. I guess I could wait a couple of months and rego it for winter - steam/smoke - would be harder to pick in the pouring rain :)
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Oh and what's the deal with Stop Smoke? Worth a try? I've never actually used it before....
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Shifta wrote: The motor is actually a Saturn so maybe it has been swapped at some point?
Only the RA model Colt came with something different to a Saturn (a 4G12 I think it was called), they were 1400cc only.

Smoke. When does it do it acceleration or de acceleration?
If it's on acceleration then it's rings.
If it on de acceleration then it's valve guides or worn valve guides.
Scorpma82 wrote:nah i wouldnt expect to win races
They actually go quite well.
If you use the 2 gear sticks just right, they go pretty damn hard.
My brother in law had an RA Colt 1.4, had a Coltspeed rebuilt motor (balanced and lightened) and Koni Suspension. It went and handled very well.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Does the engine have a rediculously big collector hanging from under the exhaust flange? If it does, that is the catalytic converter. Yep, the 1.6 is a Saturn engine :$ Always thought it was in reference to the pre 1979 belt drive update on the Galant (once again, learnin' sumpin...). RA's had the 1.4l as 75wagon has indicated. They are a car that goes completely under the radar - can be modded on the cheap and has a pretty wide scope of engine/drivetrain upgrades available (VR4 in a Colt anyone? :wut: ) The pic I posted earlier is a Cyclone 1.8 I dropped into my old hatch.
A112H

Post by A112H »

You beat me to it Craig, lol. I was looking for a RB Colt for my new daily :P They do go pretty well when using all 8 gears and are good fun.
Thought you might be interested in this as it sounds like yours needs rings, this might be the easier and maybe cheaper option;
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide ... 1015142832
Shifta2

Post by Shifta2 »

Apologies for late reply - have trouble logging in to the forum daily :(. Definitely don't need another project Jase! I'll try some stop smoke and a few other tricks and if I can't fix it, the farm will be it's destination. Will be a shame as it cleaned up nicely!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Just buy another one with a good motor in it, strip it and scrap what you don't need.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

^what he said. Pull another motor and swap it. Shame to turn a car in reasonably good nick into a paddock hack (even if it is a Colt) :(
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

if u were willing to put some $$$$ into it, you could always put in the current model MIVEC 1.5L in the car
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Scorpma82 wrote:if u were willing to put some $$$$ into it, you could always put in the current model MIVEC 1.5L in the car
Add a few more $$$ to that - the mivec drivetrain swaps the engine from the passenger side to the drivers side. Will need both engine and gearbox, remounting the engine support points on the chassis rails and strut tower, a complete exhaust system, and then the fun of custom drive shafts. And it will end up pulling a car that is heavier than the one it came out of... :hit: You should be able to source a good cheap engine for it and keep it on the road. :thumpsup:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »