not starting

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
75glnt

not starting

Post by 75glnt »

hey guys. i just pulled the guts out of the galant and re-fit the points (i dont have the correct coil to run the ignition yet) tried to start her and all it done was click (the starter). th ethermmo was cranking, also i checked the volts. and there was 12 volts. is there any reason this would be doing it? its not seized either. i can turn it over by hand (just. hi compression).

the battery has 420cca. the one i usually use is 540cca and it has trouble starting if the battery is a little under weather.

any ideas?
N/A ALL THE WAY
yno26galant

Re: not starting

Post by yno26galant »

is your battery located in the boot?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

nah not yet. im hoping its the battery. it was going when i pulled it apart to do the ignition. put it back together to run it. wouldnt start so i just put the points back. now it clicks. but its a different battery like i mentioned
N/A ALL THE WAY
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

Is the cable from the battery to the starter corroded? I had an LB lancer that did this, went to give the cable a wiggle to see if it was tight and the whole lot pulled free from the crimped on eyelet that bolts to the starter, if its not that then pull the starter out and test it on the bench with some jump starters, negative to the body and positive to the post that the battery cable doesn't connect to, should have a braided cable going from it to the motor, that'll bypass the solenoid and if the motor is good it should spin. Be safe and wear PPE
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

thanks siggylover :) i wil try the starter. the cable is fairly new and is not corroded. i did check and i also tightened it to the starter as it was loose. but still no difference. cheers :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

tried to bench run the starter. nothing. :think: and i didnt bench start it exactly. i just pulled it out. hooked it up how it should and turned the key. didnt do shit. no click. just lost all power until i let the key back to "on".

wtf? :facepalm:
N/A ALL THE WAY
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

So you left it hooked up to the car but removed it from the bell housing and turned the key? Its earthed through the bell housing so that might explain why nothing happened..

Or you mean you left it bolted to the car and used jumper leads? Negative to the body and positive to the non-switched side of the solenoid and nothing happened sounds like the motor is dead
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

There could be another (and more simpler) solution. The ignition switch assembly. If the switches' inner contacts are buggered, it won't start due to the broken circuit. Just a thought.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Nah I used jumper lead for the earth. Then turned the key.
N/A ALL THE WAY
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

geezer101 wrote:There could be another (and more simpler) solution. The ignition switch assembly. If the switches' inner contacts are buggered, it won't start due to the broken circuit. Just a thought.
If he can hear the solenoid clicking the ignition switch should be right.. you really need to bypass the solenoid by applying 12v+ to the terminal on the solenoid that goes straight to the motor section of the starter.. that will tell you if the problem is the starter or not
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea I did that at the start siggylover. So I thought I was doing it wrong so I hooked it up and tried like that. Still nothing.
N/A ALL THE WAY
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

if you did as i said then its 99% certain your motor(starter motor) is stuffed... unbolt the solenoid and keep it for a spare and ive found ebay is the cheapest place for starter motors... magna one wont work in a siggy and vice versa just in case you find a cheap magna one
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

though if you live in a u-pull-it state that might be cheaper than fleabay
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

I've got a gb galant. Lol. 80-130 for a new one.
N/A ALL THE WAY
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

astron/saturn starters are the same, last one i bought off ebay was $40
siggyloverWA

Post by siggyloverWA »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBISHI-L ... 3f1533d62c
$55 free shipping, though ask on here too, someone has to have one
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Thanks siggylover! :) I didn't know astron/Saturn starters are the same.
N/A ALL THE WAY