Magna problems

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
2Lgalant

Magna problems

Post by 2Lgalant »

Hey guys my mates girlfriend has a magma 2.6 5speed anyway they took it to the mechanics in which told them that it needs a wax block in the head or some bs ( never herd of them before ) now they have got it back the idel is so high the screw is all the way out and still sitting high and also it uses water what do you guys think ?
75wagon
Admin

Re: Magna problems

Post by 75wagon »

Sounds like it should be taken back there.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

:lol: What Dave said...

Wax block, they would be talking about the wax pallet that operates the choke I would be guessing.
It has coolant running through to operate it (the wax changes with temp).

If the coolant is leaking out before the wax pallet, it will not operate it to turn the choke off once the engine is up to temp.
So more than likely; the mechanic is being fairly honest.

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Any diagrams on where the wax block is located ?
81GL

Post by 81GL »

Diagrams, nope.

Found a carb from a manual astron 2 (think it may of been from a late scorp?), should be pretty similar to the ones used on the Magna.

The wax pallet is the thing in the middle more or less, with the two connections for coolant hoses on it. It then has the actuator going off to the throttle.
From what I've seen with the sigmas, the hose connections tend to corrode away. I guess the Magnas will be getting to that age where that could happen too?

More or less, take the air cleaner assembly off and have a look around.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Wait I should say its got fuel injection it's the later model ones last of the 2.6 style
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

well theres no wax pellet in the injected cars, sounds like the throttlestop needs adjusting.
of if theyve adjusted it to run well cold then the temp sensor for the ecu might be bung
Insert witty one liner here -->
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Time to end the confusion. Is it the injected astron II 2.6 or the carby'd 2.6 with the electronically controlled solenoids? The carby'd 2.6 magna still uses a wax pellet choke. Another problem is 'ill communication'. Your GF not paying much attention to what the mechanic has told her and then trying to tell you what the problem is can lead to all kinds of confusion (and the possibility of the aforemantioned mechanic thinking he can say any BS to a female client to separate her from the contents of her purse doesn't help either).
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Not my gf ha ha bugger that and her dad went with her he wouldn't know sweet eff all about it either but they did have the throttle body off would they have put the butterfly back in wrong possibly ?
Scorpma82

Post by Scorpma82 »

did he clean out the throttle body????????????????

im guessing the car just gets putted around town using no throttle usage or revs

if he cleans the throttlebody...more air will 'escape in' to the engine, and the computer will add in the appropriate amount of fuel for the correct air/fuel ratio.

If he cleaned the throttlebody and didnt adjust the idle speed, well quite frankly, the mechanic's knowledge is about on par with the gf and her dad

(P.S. I'm NOT saying that is the case......it's just a theoretical, nothing more)
Built with pride, Driven in anger
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

2Lgalant wrote:Hey guys my mates girlfriend has a magma 2.6 5speed anyway they took it to the mechanics in which told them that it needs a wax block in the head or some bs ( never herd of them before ) now they have got it back the idel is so high the screw is all the way out and still sitting high and also it uses water what do you guys think ?

I may be reading this wrong, hope I am. But, I don't suppose the mechanic could've been suggesting a cheap fix for a cracked head/blown head gasket??

cheers
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

The idel screw is wound all the way out the screw isn't even touching and it never had any oil in the water or water in the oil so not sure about cracked head bit. I think it's using a little bit if water cause every two seconds the thermo fans are cutting in as If the choke never turns off and it evaporates or goes into the over flow bottle