Factory Turbo setup on a AUTO?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
sigtool

Factory Turbo setup on a AUTO?

Post by sigtool »

basically have a auto scorp new motor and a setup sitting in the workshop

i dont want to go manual.
SO..
main concern is at highway speed engine revs about 3000
which leads me to believe the turbo will be sitting on boost down the highway.
i could be missing something here not overly schooled in turbo use.
will i loose drive ability??

other issues are kickdown and various other mechanical crap which is easy.

ideas??
"Boosted is The Only Way To Live"
<Sigma Turbo No.177 >
<96 Astron Powered Triton>
<81 GJ Scorpion>
geezer101

Re: Factory Turbo setup on a AUTO?

Post by geezer101 »

It will be spooled up but it won't lose driveability (IMO anyway...) If you're using the factory T904 auto transmission at least you know it won't suddenly blow to pieces , but the kick down is all mechanical and not cable like the gawdawful borgy - so it will pose a challenge to get it to operate off the CD stromberg. I'd be manually shifting down anyway as it will be 'a bit of a handful' if you stood on it and the trans kicked down while the turbo winds out :o I think it will be relatively driver friendly running stock boost and this should be a no-brainer to glue it all together and have it run without any real issues :thumpsup:
sigtool

Post by sigtool »

should have mentioned also this car will be on the highway alot will the turbo blow out my km/l figures

geezer good info i was thinking manual shifter situation rather than kickdown although the excitment of a kickdown and boost in one movement could be exciting (H)
<Sigma Turbo No.177 >
<81 GJ Scorpion>
ghuphill

Post by ghuphill »

when i sold my first gh turbo ,the new owner put a auto out of a scorp,standard stall,it went well with no probs ,but i don't know about freeway manners i suppose what geezer said set up properly ,it should be fine , actually i look forward to see how this set up goes. :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

The 3 speeds use a load of fuel without having a turbo involved so if you had an auto turbo the fuel economy would be shot to shit. My 2lt carby turbo setup i had came on boost at just after 2k and about the same in my EFI turbo setup, in 5th i just sit on 2k so not on boost buts its there strait away if i need it.

Like you said the auto revs much higher and would chew fuel and would be on boost all the time, i have an auto scorp and it sits at like 3200 at 110.

Im guessing its going to be a city driver so you dont want Manual for that reason of just not a fan?
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

A112H

Post by A112H »

TUFSIG wrote: My 2lt carby turbo setup i had came on boost at just after 2k and about the same in my EFI turbo setup, in 5th i just sit on 2k
What size tyres and what ratio diff are you running TUFSIG??
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

Standard Diff in both TUFSIG and the scorp atm, its so on its way out i dont think they ever thought a BW25 would have to deal with 220rwkw

TUFSIG runs 195. 60, R15s all round atm and my scorp runs 195. 70. R14s
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

A112H

Post by A112H »

Both 3.3??
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

You guys need to remember that with a turbo boost is load dependent and at light throttle it will more than likely be in vacuum unless your turbo is ridiculously small.

Cheers Mic
sigtool

Post by sigtool »

keeping the auto mainly for lazyness i have manuals as dailys and i just want to relax and drive so to speak.

fuel economy is a big one i want to drive down the coast on the weekends and such with this car. about 500k round trip

are there other diff ratios available for the scorp diff???????

cheers
<Sigma Turbo No.177 >
<81 GJ Scorpion>
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I used ia factory turbo setup in an auto Scorp. Ran around for about a year with no major issues. Flooring it while on the freeway was fun - basically no lag at all.

Standard auto held up fine, but i had to modify the kickdown setup. With it disconnected it was changing gears way too early, and slipped horribly. I then tried to bodgy it up 'about 1/2 throttle'. Worked better but would still slip under boost and always changed gears at the same speed no matter what. Eventually ended up putting on an aftermarket kickdown cable to suit a valiant. Worked great after that.

The cable I used - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/hot-rod-Chry ... 337e5a8850
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I would've thought the turbo would make it more fuel efficient? The auto is lousy for fuel economy to start with unless you plan on sitting on 90 kph. Good to see that there's an aftermarket replacement for the kickdown mechanism :thumpsup:
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Best way would be to fit a diff with 3.3 gears (Scorpion) or 3.08 (GH Sigma I think) and phat 65 profile tyres on the rear on 15 inch wheels, but make sure you get your speedo recalibrated!
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989