What do you want to know how to do?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
75wagon
Admin

What do you want to know how to do?

Post by 75wagon »

Literally what the title says, what do you want to know how to do?

I've been asked quite a few times:
- how difficult it was to fit the Recaro's in my Galant wagon
- how to tune the factory twin carb set ups
- how to measure wheels offsets http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6353
- how to measure whether your motor (or gearbox) is wide or narrow http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6424
- how to polish mag wheels (or just alloy in general) http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=3024
- what bolt in RWD upgrades are available for the cars featured on this site http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=2206

Some of these have already been covered, some haven't. They are just suggestions on what could be asked.
But I want to hear from the members of this site, tell us all what you want to know.

Here's you opportunity to either learn something, or teach someone else something.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75glnt

Re: What do you want to know how to do?

Post by 75glnt »

How to fit a Jap 5 speed to a 4g63?? (What clutch, plate and fly) is that good enough of a question? Or should I just post something? :)

I think this is a great idea Dave! And should be stickied
N/A ALL THE WAY
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

ive had a look through the wheel spacing thread, and it is quite helpful, my only question is, how do i figure out what offset i can run on my Galant, do i measure from the brake drum to the inner edge of the guard and go from there, also ive never understood the -10 or +10 offset, is that how many mm? sorry if im asking this in the wrong place, just figured while you looking into stuff this maybe the answer to my question would be a good addition to the wheel spacing thread.

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:

PS: sorry if its a stupid question
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

vr4retrofit wrote:Are you going to be making a tech guide write up type thing?
That was the plan, but I was hoping more than just myself would want to get involved, and I certainly know far form everything everyone would want to know.
VGJONO wrote:ive never understood the -10 or +10 offset, is that how many mm?
Yes it's how many millimeters.
VGJONO wrote:how do i figure out what offset i can run on my Galant, do i measure from the brake drum to the inner edge of the guard and go from there,
By measuring what the wheels you have are, then using the measurements of your wheels and the guide to help you work out what you actually want on there. And yes, using the wheel arch as a measuring point.
VGJONO wrote:PS: sorry if its a stupid question
No one ever learnt anything by not asking.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Yea -10 is 10mm on the back side of the rim. +10 is on the front side.. Again. In mm.

And measure from the mounting point on the car, to the inside of the guard. That will give you the front section of the rim. But you also need to know if it will foul on the strut etc.

So;

If you have a 16x10 -10 (easy numbers). You will have half the rim (5") is -0 offset. Backside of that is - offset. Front side is +. So -10 is 10mm further back from the centre of the rim

To tell if it will fit;

Again, using 16x10 -10

Measure from the mounting point of your car, to the inner lip of your guard. Take 10mm off to be safe that the rim will fit with the tyre. We will call this measurement "A"

Say that "A" is 250mm

Your rim (16x10 -10) is 22.7cm (227mm) from the face of the rim (where the bolt holes are) to the lip. Which leaves you 23mm between your rim and guard.

Hope this isn't too confusing.. Almost lost myself a few times :P

But you also need to make sure it won't foul on the suspension and body.

So here is measurement "B" (from the mounting point of the rim, to the rear lip);

You still have a 16x10 -10. So measurement "B" is 11.7cm (117mm)

So to make sure it clears.. Measure from the mounting point on the car. To the closest suspension component to you (if that makes sense?)

Say that is 150mm. You would have 33mm clearance..

Or... Just sit the rim on the car, put a nut on so it won't fall off, turn the wheel lock to lock. If it fits.. Great :thumpsup:

I hope this helps? If not.. Sorry for the great big page of babble :)

Mick :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

75glnt wrote:If you have a 16x10 -10 (easy numbers). You will have half the rim (5") is -0 offset. Backside of that is - offset. Front side is +. So -10 is 10mm further back from the centre of the rim
10 inch rims are wider then 10 inches. They will be 11 inches. The 10 inches is measured from inside the rim where the tyre beading sits.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Sorry... I thought I mentioned that... It's news to me as of a week ago :) read a chart at work :P

Depends on the thickness of the lip... Alloys typically have a thicker lip, therefore would be close to 11". A steel rim would be closer to 10.5" if not less?

Thanks Dave :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've completed one of the topics suggested above.
75wagon wrote:how difficult it was to fit the Recaro's in my Galant wagon
How to Recaros in a Galant.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

75glnt wrote:How to fit a Jap 5 speed to a 4g63?? (What clutch, plate and fly) is that good enough of a question? Or should I just post something? :)

I think this is a great idea Dave! And should be stickied
I can already say that I used the clutch from a 4g52. The clutches between a E39A Galant GTI (over there it would be the GSR) and the 4g52 seem to be more or less the same. The Galant one was just worn so I used the 4g52 one I had already on the 'old' Sapporo (Scorpion) 4g63.
For the flywheel I had to use the one of my Sapporo 4g63 as the one of the GTI had a too small hole in the center. It didn't go over the shaft of the gearbox. The Sapporo one has a larger hole and also a bearing.
Yes, both engines are 6-bolt engines and they fit the KM132 gearbox.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Clutch is more about if it fits over the input shaft on the gearbox than the flywheel (talking 6 bolt flys). There are only 2 sizes of pressure plate, 215mm and 225mm.
As far as I can tell;
225mm is for wide block Astron
215mm is for everything else :P

I have a 4G52 flywheel and clutch that was fitted to my narrow 4G54. It is now fitted to my GSR 4G63.
I need to buy a new clutch plate but that is only because I am now running a Triton gearbox and the input shaft if larger that the Jap 5 speed I was running.

Will the 215mm clutch fit a Saturn??
Last edited by A112H on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Thanks jase! :D that's exactly what I wanted to hear! :thumpsup:
N/A ALL THE WAY
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

A112H wrote:Clutch is more about if it fits over the input shaft on the gearbox than the flywheel (talking 6 bolt flys). There are only 2 sizes of pressure plate, 215mm and 225mm.
As far as I can tell;
225mm is for wide block Astron
215mm is for everything else :P

I have a 4G52 flywheel and clutch that was fitted to my narrow 4G54. It is now fitted to my GSR 4G63.
I need to buy a new clutch plate but that is only because I am now running a Triton gearbox and the input shaft if larger that the Jap 5 speed I was running.

Will the 215mm clutch fit a Saturn??
I knew already about the clutches, I just wrote what I noticed and did on my Celeste... :p
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

To remove the head from a 4g32.

I know how, but torque settings, do I need a head gasket? Any tips I should know? Etc :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Don't worry about the head gasket question... Blonde moment :facepalm: :P

But the rest of them stand.. :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Ha ha, we won't dwell on the head gasket moment... :-)

The torque wrench settings and bolt-tension order (ie the order to do them up) are normally included with the head gasket, and I usually go by what the gasket manufacturer recommends (and they're normally close to what's in the manual anyway). Remember, you'll be doing the head up in three stages, increasing the torque each time.

The rest is pretty straight forward... if you're going to the effort of removing the head, it's a good time to renew your timing chain too. You can set the timing a number of ways, using links on the chain or markings on the sprocket. If you're not changing the chain, be sure to cable tie it to the sprocket before you take it off the cam, as it'll make life easier!

Not sure what other tips... the last time I took the head off (a few weeks ago!), I had a real pain with the bracket holding the exhaust pipe in place, at the back of the engine, but I reckon it's because my bolt thread was a bit buggered!

Let us know if you need any more details... Good luck!
dnvgalant

Post by dnvgalant »

I would love to see a write up on different Brake setups on Green struts. There has been plenty of talk in different posts about this subject but nothing of a guide. Things like what would be needed eg. Calipers, Disks, Hubs etc. How to make a new bracket to fit the said setup etc...

Cheers

Dan
A112H

Post by A112H »

I would like to see that too Dan.
One thing to remember is that the Galants and Lancers are very light, up to 300kg lighter than a Sigma. By simply changing to GH struts and disc's is a significant upgrade to a sub 1000kg car.
I have pushed my hardtop pretty hard threw the twisties that are the Adelaide Hills and found the slotted GH rotors fitted with good pads more than up to the job. Now I have fitted a disc brake diff I can't wait to see/feel the difference.
Having said all of that, I would love to see a good, pictured, write up on fitting bigger brakes to a Sigma.
davenq

Post by davenq »

75wagon wrote:I've completed one of the topics suggested above.
75wagon wrote:how difficult it was to fit the Recaro's in my Galant wagon
How to Recaros in a Galant.
And for a low/no dollar approach scorpion seats will bolt to GB frames to give you a bit more comfort ,recline,tilt forward.
Growing old is inevitable
Growing up is optional
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Cheers Luke! :D

The engine was rebuilt around 10 000 ago. New rings, bearings, gaskets, flat top 40thou over pistons, most of the performance stuff done to the engine.

Some bugger played with crap after it was dyno tuned and stuffed it!

So when I finally got her running, it was running very rich! Drenching the bp6es ngk-r plugs. So I started fresh. Set the engine up do its all at tdc. And see how I go. But I want to check a few things for my own piece of mind before I tune it for the last time (it will then go to a dyno for a proper tune with the xr3000 ignition).

So I need the torque settings which I've been told is 98nm. But start at 60, then 80 then to 98.. On a cold engine. Then warm up the engine and re torque. But I also need the pattern it's done in.. But hopefully it's on the gasket instructions :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Fair enough... hopefully you get everything tuned up again soon! I'll check my last gasket paper tonight (I always keep 'em in with the manual) and post the settings and order then :-)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Awesome :D thanks again mate
N/A ALL THE WAY
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hi 75glnt, I finally remembered to pull out my last gasket torque specs for a new 4G32 head gasket (for anyone who's not been following...) :-)

So the three stages of torque I have are 47Nm, 61Nm and 73Nm, and tightening done in the following order:

Code: Select all

8           6           1          3           9
              _____
             |     |_________________________________________________
             |                                                       |
             |          ___         ___         ___        ___       | 
    Timing   |         /   \       /   \       /   \      /   \      |
    Chain    |        |     |     |     |     |     |    |     |     |    Flywheel
             |         \___/       \___/       \___/      \___/      |
             |                                                       |
             |      _________________________________________________|
             |_____|
                    10         4           2          5            7
Hope that helps! Have fun!
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

The code scrambled :P lol.

I'll get one next week and find the pattern on that. Thanks Luke :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Damn, what a pain... I'd hoped by doing it in "code", it would print verbatim (which is what's supposed to do!). Looks fine on my PC, in any case! Let me know how you go... I can always scan in the copy I have :-) Or just email it to you...
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Haha all good mate :) I'm on my mobile
N/A ALL THE WAY