Kill Switches

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Jordan1249

Kill Switches

Post by Jordan1249 »

hey im thinking bout putting a kill switch in my GC galant and was just wondering what sort of security/anti theft/kill switch devices people have in there car
gareth12

Re: Kill Switches

Post by gareth12 »

I have always been a fan of the electric fuel pump and putting a switch on that, the car will get out of the drive and run out of fuel, in which case most thieves will just bail. Otherwise a garden variety 12V switch cleverly hid someone in the cabin, piggybacked of the ignition, or perhaps piggied of the neutral safery switch on an auto and hidden in the centre console. Also i normally use a 12V battery switch, the ones with the big red handle, or a bobcat key which is much the same but a bit sneakier.

An old falcon i had had a system where you had to touch a certain spot on the dash and turn the key at the same time to start it, i thought that was pretty clever
havocgtr

Post by havocgtr »

in old cars i like to use the simple method of a wire from each side of the coil to a discreet switch when the switch is open nothing happens but flick the switch and the coil shorts out ( no damage though) but the car will crank but not start it saved my mates car twice the first time they flattened the battery as well as flooding it trying to start it the second time we heard them trying to crank over the car repeatedly rather then start and drive away and lets just say it didnt end well for them :)
1981 Scorp NOW Turboed , T04B , Magna Head , Recurved Dizzy , No balance shafts , :D
1992 Triton 2WD + Extractors & 2 1/4" exhaust + 32/36 weber = Daily driver and run around family car
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

I have 2 systems.

Im my wagon i installed a Mongoose M80s without the central locking, and i used the 3 point immobiliser for the starter circuit, coil circuit and then left the third free for when i install an electric fuel pump.

On my sedan, i am going to order the same kit as its amazng, but for now i have a remote relay in my boot that triggers the electric fuel pump. Upon turning on the car its off and need to hit the button to turn it on. I can drive about 100m if i dont turn it on.

My theory is with the second as they think they have gotten away an then they just bail.
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Have 2 of these GPS - SMS Trackers, so even if they trailer it away, you can still find your car.
Send it an SMS to remotely kill the engine or turn on the horn and lights etc...

Cheers.
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

That exact one?? Is it any good? Quality wise? I see its from china, so could it glitch out or anything?
N/A ALL THE WAY
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Since it sends an SMS...i'll more than likely not recieve the alert coz of the fact my shitbox suburb that i live in recieve no mobile phone coverage!!!!! :@
Built with pride, Driven in anger
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

This was one of my first threads when I joined S-G as there was a spate of thefts/break ins to members cars - http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 210#p64210 - I aimed at the budget/low tech/DIY approach to immobilisation and anti theft devices. Ignore the posts encouraging alternative methods of lowering the vehicle crime rate (by removing the culprits from the gene pool... :roll: )
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

I like the Jaycar kits (they always have something or other, though brands and specifics change over time), as they integrate a number of what I think are useful features. I have remote central locking too, integrated with the alarm and immobiliser, with a double-pole relay killing both ignition and starter circuits (mine won't even crank while immobilised, so it'll appear as a flat battery). But I like the idea of a triple-pole killing an electric fuel pump too! I still use mechanical (I like the idea of retaining old-school mechanical bits and pieces where I can! I'm an electronic engineer, so deal with high-tech all the time, but I think mechanical stuff has a definite elegance!).

In addition to the immobiliser, I have the remote keyless entry and alarm (obvious), but also anti-car-jacking features, like automatically locking my doors when the handbrake is down and ignition is on (this also detects open doors under the same conditions), and rolling-kill mode, where if the car is taken while the ignition is on/running, I can trigger it to kill the engine and sound the alarm non-stop after a preset delay (allowing me to get some distance between myself and the car-jackers). I think this is more of a South African/US feature, but still nice to have :-)

The electronics is pretty easy to wire up too, so is nothing to be scared of :-)

Interestingly, before fitting the electronics, I used to immobilise the car by taking the hi-tension cable from the coil to the dizzy and stick it in the boot, and take the rotor button with me in my pocket. Pretty sure no-one's starting the car without those!
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Superscan811 wrote:Have 2 of these GPS - SMS Trackers, so even if they trailer it away, you can still find your car.
Send it an SMS to remotely kill the engine or turn on the horn and lights etc...

Cheers.
Scott you would do better with a Spot Tracker or Epirb , it wouldn't help stopping your car being Knocked off but would be good for your next road trip
then you could get help when that GPS ( the magical mystery tours unit ) send you up the garden path
cheater
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

so I tried to install a simple switch with the instructions from you guys and the guy at autobarm just a simple one into the iginition wires it sorta works but sometimes it starts even tho the switch isn't open any ideas what I did wrong. Could my switch be too weak and its just by passing it ?
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

I read in an auto mag, how to use a magnetic reed switch, mounted indiscreetly, and triggered by a magnet in a fob.

Very simple and effective...

cheers
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)