New Modification Reg's

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Nath76LA

New Modification Reg's

Post by Nath76LA »

My dad has just brought this to my attention, new reg's for modified car's which I'm sure will impact quite a few people on here. Apparently it will eventually be nation wide. This will also affect rally cars.

One of the guys in my dad's Car Club has put this website below together to try and fight the new reg's.

https://sites.google.com/site/no2vsccs/
1976 Galant Hardtop
Tj.

Re: New Modification Reg's

Post by Tj. »

I discussed this at length with my engineer when I got the coupe certified last year. It was actually the reason why I did it at the time that I did, I was weeks away from the deadline (which at the time was 30/09/11) I didn't want to get tangled up in this mess. This is all presuming that they're still going to honour existing certificates.

It is absolute bullshit. I had a suspicion that this was an underhanded way of banning modified cars with out saying they're banning modified cars. But its becoming clearer that its going to affect a lot more vehicles and businesses than those focused on "performance or improvement"types of modefied cars. Wether or not this is a cock up by the NSW state government (not surprising, really) or a deliberate attempt to keep the legislation vague so they can approve or deny certification at their own discretion (so they can covertly single out "hoons" and their "dangerously" modified cars) is up for debate.

I'm curious to see if Coral Taylor has weighed into the argument at all considering her position (i assume she still chairs the NRMA) and her background in rallying.

Btw Nath, what car club is your dad a member of?
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Your right about it being a load of bullshit and they don't give crap that it's affecting peoples business'. The first guy they interviewed in the channel 10's film clip is one of the members of the Kurrajong thoroughbredcars, which is the car club my dad is in. My dad was telling me the guy interviewed received a letter stating that he had to close up his engineering business within 9 days from when the letter was issued.

I just recieved this link from my dad today about a meeting in regards to it at Eastern Creek if anyone is interested in going. Hopefully their is some logic from the Government at the meeting.

http://www.loveofcars.com.au/index.php? ... 99&seq=414
1976 Galant Hardtop
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Hmm, I'll bring the meeting up at the motorkhana I'm running on Sunday. I'm a long standing member of Hill's District Car Club which is quite invlved in rallying so this will most definitely affect us.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

This link may be of interest.
Was posted by a member on another forum.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... =standards

cheers
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Seems its about to happen in QLD in the future to come in line with all states, But don't quote me, rumours do get around
A112H

Post by A112H »

Can't say it won't happen in SA but these changes would be a massive leap, hell it would be a hop, skip and jump from where we are now.
Yes any big mods need to be engineered here but as we don't have inspections who would ever know, if you don't get pulled over then you are good to go. Hell even if you sell your car the new owner doesn't need to do anything other than fill out the change of name form, still no inspection.
I even registered the Galant online after 5 years out of rego, just payed the money and the sticker was in the mail 4 days later.

While having a rant, how are these new rules in NSW going to effect taxi's, police cars, bendy buses, any car fitted with LPG these are all modifications. Hell even any ute sold as a cab chassis is then modded when the tray is fitted. How would these mods be effected?
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

I'm neighbours with one of the engineers that tried to fight them on it. He has given up and not signed on to the new scheme.

He did say that theh were holding a moratorium on cars with pre existing engineers certificates up until march. This means that if you have an unregistered car that has previously had an engineers report, you can register it before march. After that, any certificates you have can no longer be used to start a new rego.

It also means that if you currently have an engineered car, do not let the rego lapse.
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered