To use a wolf 3d ems or not ???????

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
GLANT

To use a wolf 3d ems or not ???????

Post by GLANT »

I'm doing a vr4 4g63t twincam conversion on my 1972 GA galant...I have a Wolf 3d version 3.1 (never used).. Its not connected up as yet and no map set up as such, think the memory chip is for a vl commodore (bought it from failed project :thumpsup: )...just wondering if i should keep this or go something different???
Ill be using a custom crank sensor aswell (not a CAS as the factory motor has)...Any help is appreciated!!
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
lchilds82

Re: To use a wolf 3d ems or not ???????

Post by lchilds82 »

it should be fine as long as you have someone that can tune it, i had a microtech in my silvia with an rb20det years ago and it came with a basic tune for that engine but i had some small mods done to it as well, there was no one to tune it where i lived so had to drive it to brizzy while it was running rich as, by the time i got there the fuel pump was fucked, not sure if it was related to the computer not tuned properly and the car running rich as or not. But there are heaps more tuners out there these days, not sure how many deal wolf though, im going for the microtech for my conversion i already have it with the hand controller, i m sort of familiar with them and i know that there are quite a few tuners out there for them.
4GB63t
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

My VR4 conversion is using the exact same computer, Wolf 3D 3.1. Works OK and does the job but that's about it. If you want extra features or be able to run sequential ignition, etc you will need something better.

I'd be happy to send you a copy of the program however I'm still fine tuning the fuel mixtures and don't have a memory cartridge. I could probably write out a copy on the sheet that comes with the manual but you would have to input everything manually.

I'm actually looking at upgrading to one of the new Adaptronic E420's that have just been released when I can save up the dollars.
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

as ya know man, i took my wolf out. i cant comment on the effectiveness of mine as was never wired or tuned correctly by previous owner. i think mine was an older model too. duno. but i changed to a haltech sprint 500 ecu. had it wired in properly and tuned by someone trustworthy and its awesome. have had no issues and can be easily tuned to whatever mods your car is running. mine has only been tuned once and only thing i need fixing is a bit of tweaking at low speeds. will get that fixed one day. so if for whatever reason you do change, i recommend one of them. they are also very compact to mount secretly under dash or something so cops dont see at bretho's etc. only drawback is mine was 900 to $1000 new. cant remember atm. thinks thats on par with decent ecus these days anyway.

goodluck!!
vrooooom vrooooom!!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I had a Wolf 3D 3.0 and had nothing but problems with it. I got it off another running car and persevered with it but had problems with ignition firing pulses and memory deleting itself (after tuning) The fact that yours has never been used may mean it will work very well but I wouldnt recomend them to anyone for reliability.
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

C_Fernance wrote:I'd be happy to send you a copy of the program however I'm still fine tuning the fuel mixtures and don't have a memory cartridge. I could probably write out a copy on the sheet that comes with the manual but you would have to input everything manually.
that would be handy!!! :thumpsup:
astron_on_boost

Post by astron_on_boost »

There is nothing wrong with the wolf as long as the tuner knows the system.
I have been using them for quite some time and have tuned wolf on everything from 4cyl to supercharged v8s. The version 3s are very limited and would advise stepping up to the version 4 or better still the 5, but they are $$.the 3 is basic but will get the job done.
Cheers
72GalantGirl

Post by 72GalantGirl »

I will give you the advice I was given the other day by the performance shop here (top bloke and great work) The tunability of the wolf 3d is crap... Sorry if my typing and spelling is crap to 3am :O

Wolf 3d is ok if you dont want to go into too much custom tuning and just want a base tune. There is a new wolf computer (believe its been out for a while) v500 I think it is!! The bloke showed me the different programs between the two. Now he told me some story where I think it was the guy from wolf bought another system that was going bankrupt and decided to make it better under the lable of wolf. The new ecu programmer is so user friendly and has so many different points for the tuner to adjust its unbelieveable. Comparing it to wolf 3d there are 1/8 the tuning points in the 3d. I will try and remember what we were talking about exactly and get back to you. But maybe for now it will get you by. I believe the v500 is around a grand but apparently well worth it and that is what he has ordered for my falcon :) Sorry going to sleep on it and maybe even have a chat to him again so I can tell you exactly. Trust this man with my car not many people in this world that I do!! haha

Its not about how much you spend.... Its about how much of the work you did yourself!!! :)
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

So?? If im after a standard type tune..(i wont be modifying after its built / tuned)....will it be ok? I dont want gear box or diff destroying power...just a reliable motor set up.. :thumpsup:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

He's talking about a base tune, ie. basic fuel and ignition maps at a basic curve tune. once you get into fine tuning is where the problem lies. (Tuning for best driveability) and by this I mean stable idle, smooth accel, no flat spots, cold start, hot start etc, idle up, cold to hot change, idle mixtures, etc. the Wolf will get a good tune and may run perfectly to suit your needs but try to make it do the things a factory ECU will do and you will come into strife. The Wolf has many mapping points, which is good but I could never get it to work correctly, no matter how much adjustment me, or my tuner could do. Seriously, have a go, but dont be surprised if you end up back where you started. (speaking from experience!!!) Just some friendly advice.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Later versions are most likely better, but you may want some tuning background to play and make it work well!