engineering large wheels

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
13bsigma

engineering large wheels

Post by 13bsigma »

hey guys. my girlfriend wants to engineer the biggger wheels on her car as she is worried because she got pulled over just before putting it in to get sprayed.

whats involved? is it just making sure that the speedo is callibrated and that the wheels dont scrub? they scrub when the car is loaded or heavy cornering, or mild cornering and hitting a bump lol. shall i raise the car up and get them engineered and then lower it again?

the car came with 14s now it has 17s.

how much is the process and can any engineering place do it?

and finally. does anyone know of an engineer in sydney?

thanks fellas
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
C_Fernance

Re: engineering large wheels

Post by C_Fernance »

In NSW the diameter of the wheels isn't an issue. I could get 19's engineered on my Scorp if i wanted too. The only limit in the diameter is the outside diameter of the tyre. This needs to be kept within 15mm of the original tyre otherwise you will need to mess around with speedo calibration, etc.

As for width you are allowed 1" wider with no certificate. Any wider than this requires an engineering certificate and depends on the weight of the car.
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

they are for the baleno
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
Ron75

Post by Ron75 »

I would sujest ringing your local RTA and asking them who the local certified engineer is in your area.
brendon

Post by brendon »

My sigma was 14" and runs 17" in NSW no probs as Chris alluded to as long as the rim/tyres and +/-15mm of the standard diameter you will have no probs.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... 9_rev4.pdf
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Cars pre tyre placards go by weight of the car. So pre Jan 1973 don't have them.
Anything after the RTA say (officially) go by the placard or it's illegal. Unless you have a cert for them. (or so the line they fed me).
Dave
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Just print a 'modified' tyre placard, stick over original.

"No officer, it comes out with 22's, see the placard says its ok"
www.18u

Post by www.18u »

I was wondering this same question myself as i just purchased a cutom set of 19s for Grandpa. Even with the tyres being such a low profile, i still don't think i would make it in these specs. I also believe it has something to do with the rolling inertia when accelerating and braking.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Even the wheels on my wagon are illegal.

They're only 13's but 6 inches wide with track width increased by 6 inches overall (just over 150mm).

I'm just waiting to get pinged for 'em.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've got to admit, 15 years ago everytime I drove past a cop with my old Galant they would pull me over, now with this one they don't even look sideways at it. It's pretty loud too.