flywheel variations help needed

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Frazajay

flywheel variations help needed

Post by Frazajay »

Gday guys.
So i have gone about putting a 4G54 into my lancer that originally came with a 4g32.
I've done it with full efi and haltech , happy to send pics if anyone is interested.
I've hit a snag tho and obviously something i over looked. I used a manual flywheel out of a 2.6 magna and the starter does not engage. I read that there are 106 tooth and 110 tooth, now is this regarding the narrow block flywheels like what im using?
And will i be able to swap my ring gear off my 4g32 onto my magna 4g54 flywheel? Or could i go grab a 6 bolt flywheel off a narrow block rwd 4g63, the older express a narrow i think...

Anyhelp would be much appreciated.
Taz

Re: flywheel variations help needed

Post by Taz »

What is the starter out of? I would of guessed that same clutch/flywheel and starter out of the same magna would have been correct?? About to do this conversion myself so heres hoping i dont run into this problem, although im a wideblock not narrow so who knows.
itsabitshiti

Post by itsabitshiti »

Any updates on this one? Going down the same path very shortly. L200 ute 2wd 4G32 narrow block is out. Want to put in a FWD Magna 4G54 narrow. Thanks
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Use a narrow block flywheel on and narrow block and same deal with the 2.6l wide blocks where you use the wide block flywheel. There are a few exceptions but 2l and smaller are narrow blocks and 2.6l is wide.
Cars: 95 Wrx, 77 Galant, 73 Galant.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Auto 2.6l may be narrow blocks from memory. Measuring from bolt hole to bolt hole across the block might be best if your not sure what block your got.
itsabitshiti

Post by itsabitshiti »

Great thanks for the info. Sorry if I'm hijacking although will there be any chance of using the narrow Saturn 4g32 combo on the astron 4g54 narrow block?
itsabitshiti

Post by itsabitshiti »

Ok so no, the 4g32 flywheel is nothing the same and is only 5 bolt not 6. The wide block 4g54 doesnt appear to fit on the narrow ma gvna 4g54 engine? Not sure why need to further investigate that. Appears to have an insert on the rear of crank shaft where the wide 4g54 crank is flush.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Sounds like your all over it. Add using 4g63 and it all can get very confusing fast. Keep us posted on how you go.