Ebay turbochargers?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
MadMuz

Ebay turbochargers?

Post by MadMuz »

Been looking on ebay, lots of cheap new chinese turbos on there, just wondering if they are any good, or if they are just rubbish? Has anyone had any success with them, or do they suck rather than blow? :ban:

I notice some expensive ones say ball bearing, so I guess the cheaper ones are just bushes and shag out quickly? Does anyone know if they normally explode on first start, or do they go well for a while and then explode? I notice some you can buy new guts for them.... I am just thinking if they go alright for a year then explode, replacing the guts once a year on a cheap turbo wouldn't be that bad.... but if they only last a week if you are lucky.... not much chop.

Not looking for huge performance, just thinking of running 3 or 4 pounds and not thrashing it to death (straight away) :|

I am guessing probably best to stay clear of them, but there might be a half decent brand amongst them.... and probably some brands to definitely stay well away from, this is what I would like to find out? (H)
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Ebay turbochargers?

Post by Scorpma82 »

given ur not looking for a big turbo and very low boost.....i'd consider scrapping the turbo route all together and run a strong N/A engine instead
Built with pride, Driven in anger
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

BBwwaaaaa.... I just want it to go Ftt...ftt'....fttt....ftt... when I back off.... lol

It is actually for another non car related project that has an IHI turbo on it at the moment that is a bit sad.... it is cheaper to buy a new chinese turbo than to rebuild the IHI, if the chinese ones last a year or more, I might try one.... if people have been ripped off by poop ebay turbos, I wouldn't bother trying one....

Sometime there might be 3 different brands of cheap ones.... 2 might be rubbish, but one mob might make a fairly good one somehow? That is why I am asking if anyone has tried any and which might be the most reliable of the cheapies... yes, I know you get what you pay for.... that is why I am asking first, rather than just trying one out
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

What size engine is the turbo for?

For a 2.0L - 3.0L engine, these GARRETT VNT-25, Variable Geometry Turbos are very responsive.
At less than $600 delivered, they are also a good buy.

Cheers.
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

Hi, it is for an EA81 sooby on a gyrocopter.... so it is constantly running at 75%+ throttle, as opposed to hard acceleration followed by idling at the lights and constant throttle changes as in vehicles. Once flying the throttle is basically left at a setting unless climbing or descending.... so fast engine response doesn't really come into it.
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

So, it is 1800 (pushrod) boxer.... the turbo running low boost is more for maintaining Hp at higher altitude than boosting performance to any great extent....

I will probably try a chinese Cheepie, I just would like to find out if any of the rubbisy brands are extra rubbishy and to be avoided..... or if there is a gem hidden in amongst them, by chance (wishful thinking)
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

MadMuz wrote:Hi, it is for an EA81 sooby on a gyrocopter.... so it is constantly running at 75%+ throttle, as opposed to hard acceleration followed by idling at the lights and constant throttle changes as in vehicles. Once flying the throttle is basically left at a setting unless climbing or descending.... so fast engine response doesn't really come into it.
what do you do for fuel - do you set the mix by hand in flite to compensate for altitude changes
cheater
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

no, it is efi with a wolf computer
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

I just run 95 ulp
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

MadMuz wrote:no, it is efi with a wolf computer
fair enough - I haven't flown for some quite time but got my fixed wing ticket some time back was endosed with retrac under carrage and constant speed prop

I flew a few different planes upto a piper lance ( 6 seat - 300 hp fuel injected thing )
cheater
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

I started in GA in Grummans, Cessnas and Cherokee... but gave that up after I discovered gyros. Because I have PPL was able to fly into airstrips and 500'-5000' before asra got that ability for all gyros.
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

So, no one has tried any?
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Not a turbo fan (no pun intended).....sorry mate
Built with pride, Driven in anger
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

MadMuz wrote:So, no one has tried any?
have used a few from Kinugawa with success
http://stores.ebay.com.au/KINUGAWA-TURBO
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Billsy83 who is member here used a elcheapo Chinese turbo on a basicly stock Sigma..and made 209 RWKW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Su1i3vBR8
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

I am thinking along the lines of these. I am aware if you buy a cheap turbo, you get what you pay for.... however, sometimes there is some cheap stuff that actually works.... I am asking if in amongst the rubbish, there is any that people have tried and found to be amazingly good..... or some that really are rubbish and should be avoided? Gyros can still fly and land safely with a turbo that might destroy itself in flight, but avoiding genuine junk right at the beginning is a good idea. I know that realistically, all that can go wrong is the bearings or bushes can flog out which should become evident by noisy operation, lack of boost or oil leaking from overheated/warped housings etc well before the internals actually fly to bits and get ingested into the engine...... and as I say, If I happen to get one and it lasts a year or 2, I will be quite happy to replace the internals or replace the whole thing..... but if they fail almost right away, hardly worth trying. I am hoping to weed out the ones anyone has tried with poor results, and hopefully find a brand that should get thru its 12 month warranty....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T3-T4-T03-T0 ... 19c5a0671f

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GT2871-GT286 ... 416a3c5d6b

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CTE-T04E-TUR ... 3ce16b7dab
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

I think you have rocks in your head cheaping out on an aircraft, You don't have the option of simply pulling up if it fucks up and kills the engine
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
MadMuz

Post by MadMuz »

Thanks for your concern, however, the turbo wont be working hard and the machine can fly perfectly well with the turbo not boosting if it were to seize.... other than that, gyros glide perfectly well and only need a cricket pitch sized spot to land. The IHI turbo on it should be fine, but nothing wrong with doing a spot of testing. Weeding out any dogs in the cheap line up on ebay is part of the pre-process. Besides, buying a you beaut expensive turbo doesn't mean it will never fail either, there are also dogs in the expensive line up, possibly from the same factories anyway.
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

however the ratio of failures to Good turbos is far far far less than failures to Ebay turbos, that it shouldn't even be a consideration to risk any sort of damage to your engine. A Quality turbo, yeah can fail over time, most often due to fatigue or to owner's neglect if say the turbo gets starved of oil because of a leaky feed line or not allowing it to cool down before shutting off after a long day driving or hard driving.

The issue you run into cheaping out on parts or doing trial and error is with certain parts like turbos, when the turbo fails, it can take the motor with it, and thus why many will try to rather avoid any potential damage to their engine at all cost, especially if you just put it together or it's a daily. In the end, it will always be cheaper to do it right the first time, because doing cheap up front, will only cost you twice as much in money, work and time to do it all over again replacing that same component.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion